• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rustic Camp site

magic_minnow

Hello All!

Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a rustic campsite approximately 3-5 hours from the twin cities? Looking to get out with the family. They wanted something more "woodsy" this year! ha! Thanks!

Boundary Waters would be very rustic, if not there, there are a lot of nice federal campground along the Gunflint Trail that are nice as well. Just depends on how "rustic" you want to go.

Chippawa natl forest has some spots that hunters use during seer season, usually the beginnings ofold fire roads etc. the best thing would be to get into a area town and ask around.

Bass Lake or Larson Lake off Hwy 1 near Effie. Nice rustic sites maintained by County. Most of them are on the water. Clean pit toilet and hand pump well at Larson Lake. Not sure what they have at Bass. Last time I stayed there it was only $6.00 a night on the honor system.

First, what do you consider rustic? State parks have some rustic sites but they aren't the same rustic as I look for. I consider the BWCA rustic but others consider it a hardship. Some of the U.S. Forest sites available have outhouses and hand pump wells but are like camping at a state park. There are some sites along rivers such as the Kettle, Snake, Bigfork that are plenty remote. If you want to try some primitive camping without a lot of the restrictions of the BWCA, you could try Suomi Hills north of Grand Rapids or the vegetable chain of lakes north of Grand Marais. Cans and bottles are allowed, I believe. No maximum group size or permits, either. However, no motors allowed.

There are a ton of sites in the Finland/Isabella area that are rustic to outright primitive depending on what you are looking for. Many won't even have running water or garbage. You would have to go prepared to bring in water, and bag up and remove your own garbage.

We just spent the last three days at the Eckbeck Campground in Finland, our first stay in that area. I would highly recommend it. The campground was very well maintained and patroled. The town of Finland is right up the road with three bar/resturants on the main road, and a well stocked general store/gas station. The location is up Highway 1 about four miles from 61, a good spot for day trips up and down the shore. We also drove through the other Finland campground and that place looked nice too. Between the two campgrounds there are 69 sites to choose from. We will be back.