• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little stinker

Cooter

Apparently 10 weeks is the point when my lab pup realizes he can growl, bark, and do both when he's told NO. Its like early teen years for a human. Got my hands full now! So how do you discipline a pup?

Cooter, thats a handsome puppy. Mine turned 10 weeks today, I have a yellow female. She is doing all the same things as yours and can be quite the drama queen. Beware the worst is yet to come. They haven't even hit puberty yet.....lol

My suggestion, start working on obedience. Mine has sit and lay down pretty well down pat already. Keep it upbeat and fun though, they are just babies. When she is acting up I have her sit and praise the heck out of her. It distracts her from what she is doing and rewards her for obeying. At this age I prefer to reward them for good behavior instead of disciplining. For the serious offenses though, I can growl a pretty mean NO and thats enough discipline for now. She gets the point that is not what she should be doing. This was taken this evening during our little 5 minute obedience routine, practicing down.

mollace.jpg

LOL, our 11 week old Great Dane figured out his bark on Monday. We're just sticking with a firm "NO" right now and a little twist of the jowel (recommended by breeder). We started puppy kindergarten last night, which I would highly recommend.

Being a good boy

Floyd009.jpg

Doing what he does best (who needs a pillow?)

Floyd004.jpg

Cooter,

Nice young pup. You are about a month or so away from puppy school age. So for now it might just be getting used to your environment and the pup taking charge of what you offer up. You can always just scoop him up and crate him. Use the "quiet" command, might be better than just NO as the pup will hear that enough as it gets older. You can also alpha roll him and hold him down and stare into his eyes until he takes his focus from you. That means he gave up. You win. His mom would grab him by the muzzle and lay on him or even utter a low growl, letting him know he is not in charge. Nothing too forceful now. He is just starting to develop his own personality but you still need to be regarded as the final say. Just basic stuff now. Try getting him on a leash and working with him to walk at your side. This will get his focus on other things. Short sessions and then back in the crate.