• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crow wing kayaks

I am interested in getting a crow wing kayak. I am looking at the 1080 fisherman and the pro angler. I know several of you have mentioned you have crow wing yaks. I am curious to know what model you have and how satisfied you are with it.

Thanks!

I have a pro angler and love it. You do trade speed for stability, but I can't imagine that any 8' kayak is going to be very fast. I can't imagine what you would have to do to tip the thing, it is very very stable. At under 50lbs. it is very easy to throw on top my car and strap down in about 2 minutes by myself. I usually strap a milk crate to the back for my tackleboxes and radio and strap my latern to the front. I have thrown my 7'6" med-heavy baitcaster and 9' flyrod from it and haven't had any problem. I even was able to paddle a couple miles upstream in the mighty miss. before the water level went nuts last week.

I have the Pro Angler. It's not going to win any races, but the design is great for keeping it stable. I added an extra rod holder that I am using for a small net. I have a RAM mount on there for my GPS too. It's easy to get in & out. It has done well on lakes and on the Cannon River (pretty slow moving & meandering). I wouldn't take it on anything too fast moving, but that's just me. It might do fine, but that's not my cup of tea.

That looks like a sweet setup. When I compare your picture to the crow wing HSOforum it looks like the 1080 fisherman to me. The pro angler looks much different on their HSOforum. Or am I looking at it wrong? How much did you pay for it and where did you get it?

I just bought my Pro-Angler on Monday. I haven't put it in the water yet but tomorrow looks to be the day. I am in the process of getting it all rigged up for fishing. Just got done making a bait tube and am going to purchase the Humminbird SmartCast depth finder today. Does anyone on here have any feedback on that depth finder (the one you wear like a watch) or know where to buy deck loops for rigging?

That looks like a sweet setup. When I compare your picture to the crow wing HSOforum it looks like the 1080 fisherman to me. The pro angler looks much different on their HSOforum. Or am I looking at it wrong? How much did you pay for it and where did you get it?

I guess mine is the 1080 fisherman - crazy I didn't even know they had the other one when I bought mine. I got mine on hsolist. It was there first one for sale, the color was alittle off, and I poicked it up at their shop, so I got a pretty good deal. I think I payed something $550.00 for it.

I really think its a fantastic kayak for Minnesota fishing. I wanted funtionality and stababilty over speed. Although I can paddle this at a comfortable 4 mpr. Rowing backwards with my rod out in front of me is a great way to troll. Its just an all around great little kayak.

I have a Humminbird Smart Cast - the "watch" version. I like it - but if I had to do it again I'd get the kind that mounts on the rod. You can mount this one on something in the kayak instead of the rod & it's easier to look at. I don't use the little green tug boat (the transducer) as a bobber. I just have it hooked to an old bow string tied on the 'yak & I throw it out in which ever direction I want. It's not really long enough but I haven't bothered to replace it yet. I've gotten one friendly question about that - not from a C.O. but from a fellow angler just making sure I knew it was out there and I had another line down too.

I paddle mine backwards too. Especially when Lindy rigging with Phelps Floaters - it works to "troll" like that. I can watch the rod tip easily.

I got my deck loops at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Nice set up Tami. I'll bet that a day on the river fishing flatheads and you could be towed around the river by a large one.

a few 17" bass have had there way with me, I'd hate to see what a flathead could do - crazylaugh