• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Gulp! Leeches

Craig,

I just got back from Northern Ontario. I used both the gulp "alive" minnows, 3 inch and the leeches. They both worked as good as the live stuff. I just rigged em like ya would an ordinary one, both the minnows & leeches.

Pac

Not to be a dummy but I don't really walleye fish cause I don't know how to rig the stuff.

What I invision is a small hook through the leech head and a split shot up 8-10 inches. just kinda bouncing the bottom, does that sound right?

In one solid week of fishing in Lac Seul I only used maybe a dozen live leaches. This yeilded me numerous walleye, smallmouth and even northern pike all on the same setup. 1/4 ounce chartruese/green jig heads with varied colors and styles of Gulp Alive. From the 5" or 3" leaches, 4" swimming mullets, 4" and 3" pogey's and also the 4" minnow. I had great luck on pink 2" swim tail grubs on walleye. My Gulp bucket looks like a garbled mess of colors and styles and I love it all, the only thing I didn't try was some of the longer worm style Gulp. Look at a couple of my catches I just posted in the Walleye of 2008 thread.

My standard rig was a custom built 6' ML St. Croix with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 101 with 6lb vanish florocarbon line, palomar knot on a 1/4 ounce lead jig head. On this setup I boated over 100 eyes, 20 northern and numerous smallies. The fight on that rod is awesome!!!! I did however switch over to a 6 1/2' Fenwick M with a Abu 101 and 10/4 fireline when I really got into the northern and got sick of getting bit off. I am just not a fan of horsing, I love the lite pole and floro.

I think your best bet is tip them on a jig. If you wanted to lindy rig with them I would suggest putting a lindy walking sinker or simply a 3/8oz weight just above a barrel swivel. Run a 3' to 7' leader and a hook through the head of the leech or minnow. You will have to provide the action through your rod, so slowly twitch the rod tip. That should work.

I would agree, Gulp 3" and 5" leeches are working far better than I ever expected. It is difficult to keep them stocked because they sell so fast. I have doubled order quantity's twice this season to keep up with demands.

For the folks headed north of the border they are the answer to live bait restrictions on leeches. Reports show they are producing as well as, or better than, live bait leeches on Canadian waters.

They are becoming very popular at Devils Lake too.

2-3 inch will work great........bottom bouncing with spinners is the best application for them.... when using them on a jig you need to really work the to get that life like wiggle.....when it comes to float fishing go to the bait shop and get yourself a dozen jumbo's.

sure dose save a trip to the bait shop when you have these!

I have both,the 3inch and5 inch leeches in a couple different colors.The jumbo 5,s look like they will provide a better action than the 3,s.They seem much more flexible and lifelike.Remember you still have to impart the action on them.We did a comparison with gulp crawlers and real crawlers this spring on spinners,the real thing out produced, but gulp did catch some fish.Im heading up to Canada next week and will be trying out the leeches up there.Canada is not a fair test of these products in my book but its a place you can build confidence in using them.