• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good day or bad day?

HugoBox

I just deleted and re-posted this because I read my first post and it looked to me like - "Look at me I found fish." Not at all the intent. So let me ask this - in a 4 hour outing you CPR the first of the year - 40" - lose a nicer fish after an explosive boatside strike - and then lose the biggest of that you've ever hooked up with (it dwarfed the ealier 40 incher - I think it was pushin 50). I was thrilled to have all that action in a short time period and to get the first of the year, but "The big on that got away" due to a mess up on my part kept me up last night.

Is that a good day or bad day?

Hey,

I was holed up in a cubicle yesterday.....would you have wanted to trade places with me? grin

I'd call it a good day for sure. One the board with a fish for the season, and you were moving fish. As far as the big girl you missed? Well, you now have another spot on the milk run, and if there was some OE involved, it's a good thing that you learned from the mistake made. I'll bet whatever you did will likely not happen again!

Box,

Dude you were on the water, fish or no fish, lost the big one or never seen one, you had a far better day then most of us I reckon.

To top it off reading your report and knowing you extended the invite my way to join you on the water, you definitely had a good day.

Later

RU

Any time you go fishing is a good day my brother. You could be at work or somewhere else besides being on the water. I have had a similar experience a couple years ago where I caught 1 and lost 2 in about a 20 minute span. Nothing pushing 50 like you, but all 40-45 inch fish. I know the feeling when a fish gets off, your heart just drops. If it wasn't an exciting sport you wouldn't feel those types of emotions. That's what keeps everyone fishing for these elusive fish. If it were easy, it would not be even close to this popular as it is now. Losing fish is part of the game. Keep casting!!

Hugo,

That is a very good day in my books. Boating fish and moving fish in the same day is awesome.

Now, if I've been fishing all day with no action and no slime time in the net and I lose a 50" fish at boat side later on, then I'm crabby.

Brian

I think you're all right on. I'm still learning more about this deal so it feels good to know that I may be starting to put some of it together. That said, when a biggie gets off and just sort of hovers there without totally darting off its insult to injury. I'm in a cubicle myself today - yep yesterday was a great day!

Hiya -

You get a muskie in the boat, big, little, or otherwise, it's a good day. Fish get off, and big ones are especially good at it. Treat it as a Zen moment and move on...:)

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Are you kidding me, that's a good day with a great day knocking on your door... Get back out there and use what you've learned to put the big one in the boat! Muskie fishing is a long road.

I know - the good thing is that I also know exactly why I lost the fish - I had my rod tip way to high and she made a run straight away from the boat and I was in a poor position and didn't use leverage to my advantage. I think I know what Cjac means about an 8 foot rod instead of a 7 footer.

That said, the wind was blowing pretty good so I was trying to work the fish to the upwind side of the boat, didn't want to have to try to net it from under the boat. Do those of you who have more experience than me agree with that tactic?

Two bad things that can happen while netting are slack line and letting the fish get its head above water to shake the lure free. I know from experience. :-(

Or if you get one that likes to do the crocodile death roll.

It's hard to think strait when you are hooked up with a fish like that. There is so much going through your mind...Should I zig or zag..Do i grunt and try stop tht trophy buck...or will he bolt if I make a sound.. do i net the fish the first chance I get or try get him in the right spot first....you'll probably do it different next time and that mat or may not work...Truth is sometimes fish just come unbuttoned and there is not a darn thing you can do about it.....But you were there and you'll be back.......That's the best part about it!!!! good luck on your quest for the 50.....uplander

After fishing 'skis for over 5 hours yesterday with nothing to show, not even a follow a guy asking if catching a 40" and losing a pig is a good day is kinda of irritating mad

Im just kidding around, sort of... wink

Any trip you put 'ski in the boat is a good day in my book.

Hey!!! Maybe you wouldnt trade with CJAC for his cubicle... but you'd trade me for a healthy hand??? LOL DANG Thats a wonderful day!!! Look at me... my hand isnt fully healed up... god knows what Im missing out on... my lures are crying to get wet... my rods are so lonely sitting there on the rod rack... and you get all those actions... What I would give just to have my hand heal up already and be out there fishing right now... And I keep on getting new lures after new lures... *sigh*

Prop... Im definitely READY to go... but not the hand... I'd say somewhere in July... early to mid July... Its healing up nicely but not fast enough... I'll let you know immediately when its good and ready to go... As for the boat... its still coming along... thanks to the nice storms we had last week, I couldnt work on it... and had to work on repairing the roof here... *sigh*