• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Boats?

trackerbrent

Should I get another boat? One for the family and one for fishing. I am really torn. I can not find a fishing boat that I like that would double as a family cruiser/ski boat. I currently have a bass boat that just is not going to work out for my young kids. I can not see myself parting with it. I love the speed and fishability.

The fish and skis I like are more like bass boats, so why bother they are too shallow for toddlers running around. I have found a couple mid 90's Larsons/Glastrons with 115's that I like for around $5k. I have room to put them, so that is not an issue. My wife really wants something deeper so the kids can come out on the boat. I love skiing also and am going to love teaching my children how to. I want fishing/boating to be part of their lives growing up.

For those of you with 2 boats, does it work out good? For others do you think it is a good idea or should I keep searching for a fish and ski or walleye hull that would work out? Keep in mind I love speed (60 mph+), thus the reason for keeping the bass boat.

Thanks for your thoughts!

If you have the money and space and you love the current boat, then yea, go with another for the family. All depends on what you want to do. I have a fishing boat, but it's deep enought I feel safe to have kids out in it.

TrackerB, sounds like you need a reata 2050 - you can rig those to go around 60mph. Otherwise the smaller Ranger reatas and the Lund 186 Tyee GL are deep as well, just not capable of the speeds you mention.

LB

I think I'd try and find one that'll work for both activities - blueroof's reccomendations above area good start. Less stuff to kick around, less maintenance, less money spent on boat insurance, etc.

marine_man

Just got done with this issue last year. Have 5 kids and the wife wanted a boat we could all use for everything. Went with a used lund 2025 pro v. Not a bass boat and the speed might not impress you but the over all usability I've been happy with. I can only do about 45 mph but it matters little if it's loaded down or not the speed seems about the same. It's not as deep as a bigger walleye boat like the Tyee but has more than enough room to cruise and do the towing fun stuff. Ranger's walleye or multi species boats are great options IMO. Plenty of power, speed, great ride and sharp looking. Agree with marine man alot less complicated dealing with one boat than two. But if you like the bass boat image you might be disappointed with anything but a bass boat for fishing out of.

I'll second the Reata recommendation. It is a beautiful boat. A friend owns one and he uses it for both family & fishing - he loves it. Lots of room for the family, plenty of storage for the rods and gear. You can find a great used one for pretty good price.

Unless you live on a lake, storing two boats can be a pain. Also, if taking it on a vacation you don't have to compromise as much whether you are fishing/skiing/family boating.

Had the same dilema last summer ... ended up getting a pontoon as a second boat for the family (cuz couldn't affort the Reata). Love it! For cruising with family & friends there is nothing better than being in a Living Room on water. IMHO. We live on a lake so storage is not an issue.

This is my first year owning a Ranger Reata 1850 VS. You could go bigger if you wanted. So far it has been used exclusively to fish, but has the ability to be converted to a family fun cruiser/ski boat. For me it is the best of both worlds, although most of the time it will be used to fish out of.

Basically I have a big water tournament walleye boat and a cruiser/ski boat all in the same boat. I am sure they are plenty of other manufactures out there that offer the same set up that really excel either way they are set up. This boat for me was a GREAT compromise with the wife that likes to fish, but wanted something a little more versatile in the event we are entertaining family/friends.

My last boat was a diehard fishing boat and I never thought I would own a fish/ski boat. Well now I have an even more diehard fishing boat and a diehard ski/pleasure boat. Now it is not going to ski like a Mastercraft or a Ski Natique, but I believe it will definitely serve its purpose.

Matt

I had looked at other fish and ski boats - most are more ski/runabout then a fishing boat. So if you love your bass boat make sure it is a glass fishing boat modified to serve as a family boat. You get that in the Reata.