• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging with braided line

TimC

This is the first time that I will be using a braided line. Do you guys tie your jigs directly to the braided line or do you use a mono leader? If so, why?

I use mono or copolymner for almost all my jigging, braid for almost none of my jigging. I only use braid if in deep water and/or current where I need the extra sensitivity.

If I'm jigging with braid in stained water I tie direct. In cleaner water I would go with a leader, either mono or flouro, strictly for the visibility factor.

I think it is more a case of personal preference. Some people like a mono or co-poly leader and some don't. I agree that the visibility factor come into play but though I cannot prove it I have often thought that it is NOT as important as many people think! After all, in the past people fished with lines that probably looked like rope and still caught fish?

Like the man said in very clear water I would probably tie a leader on. I happen to like tying a 6 foot piece of a good florocarbon, like Silver Thread or P Line, for the non-stretch qualities it has. I tie the florocarbon to Fireline, which I fish almost exclusively these days.

In dark or stained water it is not as important. I also agree with what was said previously about the fewer knots the less chance of disaster. So once again, I should think it would be a matter or personal preference.

I have mono on one set up and fireline on the other and I use both for jigging when needed.. I cast and troll whatever it might be with the fireline too... I have been known to take walleye fishin pretty serious and have tried thing many diff ways. Personally unless you are in a tournament or something like that or in super clear water I wouldnt worry about it. If a walleye has time to sit down there examine the color scheme of the jig, inspect the angus quality of the bait, inspect the knot strength, then finally bite.. in my mind it means that walleye might not be ready to commit anyways. And if i really thought it was the directly tied jig, over the bait choice, jig color, location...etc that was effecting the bite, I would finally do what Team Otter suggests or something similar with the vanish or mono leader..

95% of my jigging is done with Power Pro or Fireline. Mostly Power Pro. I tie direct to my jigs. The waters in our area lakes are stained so I dont think it matters. I use the 3# diameter line so its nice and thin.

Do you get more hits/bits with the green compared to the yellow?

I cant say for sure because I use the green so much more often. Like I said I use the yellow or flame green Trilene when its windy and I need to watch my line for hits. Neither seems to effect the fishing in that type situation. Of course like I say almost all the bodies of water I fish are stained. In real clear waters I would probably put a 3' clear shocker leader on.

I know guys who use very colorful lines all the time and catch fish too. Im a firm believer in confidence baits, lines etc. If you feel good about what your using you use it more and thus catch more fish on them.

If water clarity allows it I tied directly to the jig or if im fishing in an area with alot of snags. If it is ultra clear water I use a florocarbon leader or fairly clear water I use a mono leader. I friend and I were fishing identical jigs on multiple lakes one weekend, It seemed to make a big difference in shallow water on the clearer lakes.