• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moon phases..fact or myth (see inside)

The Yeti

An avid well known fishermen in this area told me that the best time in the winter is the opposite of summer, that being 3 days before, during and 3days after the new moon. Go figure. I have always thought it was best at full moon too.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. last night's and this morning's moon were what sparked this question. Going up fishing this weekend and was wondering if the moon will be a factor.

After almost twenty years of logging my spring crappie fishing, I would have to say that EBass has come closer to the reality then the moon phases do. Daily peaks and valleys regarding hot times are relevant though. And wind direction can prove to be myth as well.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

In the summer on my favorite nothern MN lake the full is important, because it gets the crayfish shedding their skins in the shallows, walleyes feed on them and anything else in the area. Winter I have caught many fish during the full moon and new moon, I think others factors can be more importan in the winter (traffic, weather patterns) but who knows?

The moon affects the activity levels and times of activity for fish and game. The days around a full or new moon just have longer and/or more intense activity.

The weather is by far the dominate factor, but on those cold front days, the one or two fish that you catch, will come during the major or minor activity window.

These windows of activity are when you have the best chance of a trophy, and just the general numbers will be higher also.

Look into the moon phases and activity times, they will help you make your days more productive.

Steve

i'm with willowcat. more of a myth as for good fishing/hunting only better chance for trophy and also agree new moon seems to be better along with weather conditions, wind from the east fishings the least, wind from the west fishings the best, high pressure slow, low pressure better, ect. start a journal and compare later or with others.

I've never noticed an "increased" activity level in the fish dureing full and new moon phases. However, I remember reading something in In-Fisherman about a large percentage of trophy fish being caught dureing the 3 day period before and after the major moon phase, full and new. I put more faith in stable weather than lunar positions. The moon does have effect on the gravtitional pull on water, especially dureing the full moon period. Fish as well as humans consist of a large percentage of water. That probably explains behavior changes in living organisms. Scientists have documented increased tendencies in criminal and aggressive behavior in people, even increased hair growth(not 100% on the hair thing). Actually the moon has a lot of effect on things...Ask any Lunatic. smile.gif........And blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck