• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jackoh58

switch from bluegil to crappie

I am from north central Ohio, near the lake Erie Islands area. We have great waleye, smallmouth and perch fishing here all year round. The problem we have is that the lake doesn't freeze every year, but when it does it's GREAT! My question is for when we are fishing at our small 17 acre inland lake. We catch many 6 t 8 inch bluegils on micro jigs and wax worms just off the bottom. They seem to bite the best for us about 1 hour before dark until around 2 to 3 hours after. The lake is aprox 17 feet deep has some shallows, coves, gravel and sand etc.. Our best luck so far has been at about 12 to 13 foot deep.
I know there are crappie and perch in there. We catch them in the summer. How do we rig up for the crappie? It would be cool to catch something different.
Thanks!
Jack

Thanks!

personaly, slightly larger hooks,small minnows and start in the deepest hole.they may feed at the same times as you stated.

I had heard something about moving up higher for crappie. But you are saying fish off the bottom the same as for gills.
What is your feeling on the new bio bait? We were thinking of trying it.

Winter craps can be different, but generally look to the deepest water in the area you fish and be prepared to fish about anywhere from top to bottom of the water column. I prefer craps over the sunnies and find the constant pecking by sunfish annoying at times, so I begin my search for the silver sides about four feet from bottom and go up from there as required to catch fish and I would always begin a winter search for craps with very small minnows- one on a bobbered line, one on a jig. Once fish are located you may want to try some bait alternatives.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

jackoh58, Do you fish Kelly's Island? I usually catch a ferry at Marblehead or Catawba to head out to the island. Thinking about the Bass Island area next year...Lots of structure there though! Erie's tough to beat, I look forward to going every year.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Yes I have fished all the Island areas since the mid 60's. West Sister east to Lorain and north to the Canada line. I am lucky enough to have the knowledge and experiences from my Dad and his friends as well. We have alot of charter boat captains, friends etc. and all help each other out. I would be happy to help you folks with any info I can.

------------------
Iceyes6

I usually fish Kelly's Reef, Airport Reef, and Gull/Bird Island. I run boards and crawlers, usually in June. I like the fact that there's only one major reef surrounded by deep water vs large areas of varied structure. The fish are easier to key in on. Some days you'll catch nothing under 5lbs., 5-10lbs being average. It's tough to beat that kind of fishing! smile.gif Check out my link, you'll see pictures from previous trips. I usually stay at the state campgrounds...Real cheap too! Take it easy, can it be luck?

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Nice fish! Where do you live and what lakes are your home turff? Back in the mid to late 80's we caught most our walleye drifting. Now days it seems we have to spend more time trolling to catch em like we did back then. To me it's more fun on the drift. I ordered some Bio-Bait to try. Looks like we will finally be able to hit the pond ice. There is about 2" on her now, hoping for 4-5 by saturday. I have a couple tip-ups and would like to see if something would hit! I tryed one day last year used a lake shiner around 4". Never any action. any sugestions? Thanks!

------------------
Iceyes6