• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So what would you rather have?

MidCoast

I always fish expensive reels and cheap rods. Maybe I just find some very quality rods for low low prices? I've been currently fishing a $30 rod, and frankly it's one of my favorites. I also get very grumpy when general bad things happen with cheap reels, I've had enough trouble on a few occasions with cheap reels that absolutely ruined an afternoon of fishing to convince me that it's a good idea to buy better reels.

Thank you LOONEYDUCER. Hit it right on the head.

I alternate years. Rod one Year and Reel the next. Most of us have plenty of time and money already into it. Just budget it out a little better and get the best of both worlds. If nothing else turn the Temp down in your house by 2-3 degrees during the winter and it will pay for it.

Ohh and you People that fish with $15-$30 rods. Have you ever fished with a $150-$200 dollar rod let alone a $100 dollar rod.

If ya gotta choose between the lesser of two evils, you have to look at what will keep you fishing.

A cheap rod will thread line all day long and bend some amount.

A cheap reel will break or make you throw it in the lake, and you are done fishing.

I've done both - you can keep fishing with a cheap rod, but your day is shot with a cheap crappy reel.

But with that said, around $100 for both gets you out of the pit.

Ohh and you People that fish with $15-$30 rods. Have you ever fished with a $150-$200 dollar rod let alone a $100 dollar rod.

Have you ever fished with a cane pole, braided dacron and a Red Eye or Strip-on sucker for pike? Now there's some fun.

Jigging is the only presentation I would shell out more than $60 for a rod not used for big water trolling or throwing Muskie Baits. I have two St. Croix rods; one Premier and one Elite. Nice stuff and I have had them for 15+ years but if you have kids or unattentive friends/drunks in the boat, they are not worth being that [PoorWordUsage] off.

My favorite Walleye jigging rod is a Berkely Safari Series 5.5 foot UL. I think I paid $35. I use 6.5 foot ML Ugly Sticks for rigging and they work great and have been absolutely abused...stepped on, left hanging over the boat etc. by my kids. I've only had one guide come out of an eyelet in 8 years.

Expensive rods and big boats are only as good as the fishermen in them.

I'm not convinced quality and expense are directly related when it comes to rods and reels. I've had $15 reels perform brilliantly for years, and $80 reels that pretty much never did work. I think my go-to rod turns 30 this year -- an early Pflueger graphite. It was probably an expensive rod at the time (I don't know -- I was 10), but it's priceless now.

Come to think of it, I've never had a Pflueger product let me down, though I think I've destroyed at least one reel from most other major manufacturers.

Anyway, the point is to buy good fishing equipment, not expensive fishing equipment, and to not shy away when the two happen to coincide.