• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Lodge vs. Otter Cabin

PerchJerker

I plan to get an Otter Lodge or Cabin since it won't be long before my son is old enough to go fishing with me (right now I have a Fish Trap Pro but it's not big enough for the two of us). I'm leaning toward the Lodge since it's tall enough to stand in, but I'm a little concerned about the size and weight. For you guys that have Lodges or Cabins, how hard is it to get them in and out of the back of a pick-up by yourself? How hard are they to pull by hand if there's snow? Any other thoughts on these two houses? Thanks.

perchjerker,
I have both the Lodge and the Cabin. The Cabin is a great 1 man portable or great for a man and a boy and easy to heat.
The Lodge works great for 2 adults.
I consider both too heavy to pull very far by hand, especially in a lot of snow.
If you always drive up to your fishing spots or have an atv or snowmobile, get the lodge.
They both are easy to load in the back of a pickup if they are empty.
They both pull easily by hand on bare ice, as the sleds are slick and slide easily.
I suggest that you spend the extra money to get the cover for which ever one you get, especially if you plan to pull it behind an atv or snowmobile. The solid hitch also saves you a lot of grief when towing them.
Both portables are easy to set up and will last a long time.
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

PerchJerker-
I have the Otter Cabin and for myself, it is a great house - gets a little cozy with 2 guys but not too bad - should be fine with yourself and a youngster. I can load it in my truck easily with just the sled, canvas and 2 seats. Gets a little heavy if you leave all the gear in. Have not pulled my house any great distance by hand, usually behing the wheeler, but I'm sure with the Otter sled it wouldn't be too bad - may be a little harder with the Lodge as I think it weighs like 25lbs more. In all honesty, if you can afford it, go with the Lodge. When your son gets a little bigger, you'll be glad you did. I know I will be going to the Lodge in a couple of years when my daughter is ready to go. Either way, you'll have a great house, and lots of memorable times spent with the little one!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

Perchjerker-

I've had a lodge for about three years, and love it. I some times go out alone and load/unload it myself out of my Dodge Ram pickup. It is 81 pounds(tent poles and sled(not incuding gear which I take out)).
It can be difficult depending where it is loaded/unloaded at, on slippery ice, onto a bank of snow, etc... Ice cleats help but it is still heavy.

Keep in mind that the vehicle you have may be a factor, it is a large unit. It will fit in a short box truck, but not much room left for gear unless it is loaded into the sled(HEAVY).

It pulls ok by hand but in heavy snow its a workout, unless you have 4wheeler/snowmobile/Saint Bernard.

I picked up an Eskimo Quickflip Sport one man for going out alone, much easier transporting. Good luck, you can't go wrong going with the Cadillac of portables-OTTER!

I agree with what others have said.

I own both, I take the cabin when it's just myself because it is easier to heat. It's good for one man, no more then that. You can't really fish 4 holes out of one. You and a boy with 2 holes would work.

The lodge is a decent 2man house. I think if I had it to do over again, I would get the resort for a 2man house though. I need more elbow room then most I guess.

Thanks for the replys so far -- lots of helpful info.

When the boy starts ice fishing we'll mostly take short trips to lakes close to home to catch potato-chip sized panfish, and not walk very far. I have an atv that I'll use when we go longer distances or stay out longer. That's why I was mostly interested in how hard the Lodge is to load and unload by yourself, and if it's just too big and too heavy to pull by hand through even a little snow cover.

I'd surfed the web comparing sizes and weights of several houses. I was surprised, but for comparable sized houses the FT Guide weighs 2 pounds more than the Otter Cabin, and the FT Voyaguer weighs 1 pound more than the Lodge.

I was checking out for a new shelter. You mention the weight. you have to remember that the voyager has seats attached at that weight and the otter has no seats at that weight. a litle more confusion on which to buy

I have the Lodge and I can load it into the back of my pick-up just fine. I'm not a big guy either. smile.gif I can still load it with some items inside, but the 20lb propane tank and auger must come out first.

I'll tell you that the wind could be blowing 35mph and this house is the quietest portable house I have been in and it will not blow away if you step outside (had that happen more than once).

If your worried about seats I have one Otter swivel seat that I really like, and I carry a new folding chair (with the arm rest and cupholder built in) that works really well too.

In powder snow it would be a challenge to pull this house around. On a hard packed snow or ice surface there's no problem whatsoever.

The cabin is an excellent one man unit, but the Lodge is a very comfortable 2 man house with plenty of headroom. With a child, you might need more room.

PerchJerker,
Are you from S.D.?

I vote the Otter Lodge.
I like to bring all my "bufu" inside with me... propane & heater, LX-3 and Marcum underwater camera, pail with all the rods & tackle... my dog has to have a place to lay, my sons (I have 2... one of which is a fishermen) kids games, coats, and toys... and still have room a buddie's & his gear too.
Nice having all that extra room inside the Otter Lodge... and all that gear fits in the sled too!
I will have a Otter Lodgeg at all the I.C.E. Series Tournaments... the Otter Lodge fits inside my 2003 GMC Savanna Van (turn the back seat down to a bed and slide it right in the back of the van. I can handle it alone, but I am a big guy (I take the 20# propane bottle out first).
Bottom line... I love the xtra room, well worth the pulling!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Howdy Catch'n. Thanks for the reply.

I live in the Twin Cities, but my folks used to live in SD (Madison) before they retired. I've done a little ice fishing on some flooded sloughs around there over Christmas (never as much as I wanted to do).