• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Pound Line for Walleye Fishing?

JohnD

John: There are probably as many opinions on this subject as there are types of line at the tackle shop.

I use nothing less than 8# on LOW. I use two kinds and have had good luck with both. Stren Lo Viz and Berkley Fire Line. To be real honest with the murkiness of the water on this lake I don't think 8# is overkill. I just want to be able to set the line in 30' of water and not have it break off.

Crappie or sunnies in clear lakes would be a totally different story with 4# and 2# not out of the question. Hope this helps. Good luck, and hang on. Enjoy your trip to LOW. /bill

I use 8# or 10# break strength Power Pro or Fireline with a 2', 6# to 8# mono leader.
Use srtaight mono in 8# to 10# test if you will be fishing without a house. The braids ice up bad in cold weather if used outdoors.
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I like 6 pound test Vanish or Micro Ice up on LOW for jigging spoons and swimmin raps. I also rig a rod with 4 pound test and a plain hook too. 8 pound test Fireline is on another rod as well. 6 pound test seems to work the best for me though.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

i usd both the prower pro and fire line. the power pro is my favorite. tip them with 6 lbs mono, about 3-5 feet long.set your drag, very important. once caught a 9 lb trout on 4 lbs line. thanks to the drag, the line didnt break.

John, I use 6 lb Vanish on my walleye rods for myself and 8 lb for my guide clients. LOW is pretty similar to Mille Lacs in the fact you have a good chance to get some nice fish and a trophy pike. I don't recommend going any less than 6 up there.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

for walleyes anywere and any depths i only use firline micro ice 6lb test it has the diameter of like 2lb test.....so when you set the hook in thirty feet of water you dont have to worry about your line strethching.....it all i ever use for every fish.....especially on red lake for those slab crappies its so much more sensative than monofilament....you dont miss those light bites...
good fishing

------------------
www.bearpawguides.com

Lots of different ideas on this. For the past three winters, I have settled in on either 4# XL or Rapala Finess lines with a 4# flourocarbon leader of about 36" tied on. Guess I've been lucky-haven't had a break off yet but the drag is always set light.....I also have one rod with 4# Fireline on it also with a flouro leader. I use that in deeper water. I like the Fireline (which has been on that spool for 4 years) because it doesn't seem to absorb water like Spider does and seems to have zero memory. I use the mono lines because I actually like a little line stretch. I think it's fun to hit the roof of my portable on the hookset! That's a combination of pure excitement, line stretch and loose drag........T

For ice fishing I only use 4# with it sitting so still or just jigging the fish has way too much time to look at the bait and see the line, at least that is my thinking.

Anytime that I have broke off a fish has been impatence on my part and putting too much pressure on the fish.

Truthfully, I use 4lb microice on most lakes however Don't be affraid of 6lb on LOW. I've pulled 8-9 pounders through the ice on four lb. It takes a little finesse when fighting the bigger ones but you'll catch more fish. A jigging rod I do step up to six lb but no higher.

------------------
searchin skys for eyes

I like to use 8/1 lb test powerpro line.
It was good strong power with very little water resistance.

OOps I guess I already said that. LOL blush.gif
------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

[This message has been edited by LocalGuide (edited 01-07-2004).]