• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Rod

Sandmannd

Best combo for the money is the Kingkat and SaltStriker reels from Cabela's

The 7'MH is more versatile, as for line #65-80PP or Sufix braid.

Or stop in at Moore's and he'll set ya up soemthing nice=)

Salt Stalker is not winning any reviews from me at this time.

Clicker is very light and soft, I have a pause in reel when reeling up fish (or any weight) because the balance of the reel is off and clicker lever is hard to engage at times. Also drag is a drag grin. Also I have noted at times when the drag is set all the way to tight; it still is in free spool mode. This is not operator error. I hate to knock am item, but I have field tested my unit and this is what I have found. Could just be my reel though. I really do not like to use it.

My Salt Striker has treated me well. If I had anything bad to say about it, it would be that it is starting to get a bit noisy (could use some oil or grease I guess). Other than that, it has a very good drag system and is one of those combos that seems to always catch the big fish. 2 of my 50’s and a bunch of 40’s have been caught on that same reel.

I was thinking about buying a Penn Captive Live Liner, but I might have to just keep using this Salt Striker as it seems to be the lucky one.

Ask WWG about his Daiwa sometime wink

My Salt Stalker is a bait caster style Dtro, not a spinner.

Do you have a bait caster also?

On the same situation, I have my Woop'in stick, which lost a guide insert the other week. I have to bring this back to bella's, I will talk to them about the issues I am having with my Salt Stalker.

Originally Posted By: Mr Special
Best combo for the money is the Kingkat and SaltStriker reels from Cabela's

The 7'MH is more versatile, as for line #65-80PP or Sufix braid.

Or stop in at Moore's and he'll set ya up soemthing nice=)

Thats about all you need

What price range to these run? Would you go bait cast or spinner?

You can get the 7'0 MH King Kat and SS spinning combo for 64.98 or at least you used to be able to....+ a free hat.

I would get the 50 series reel.

Shack, I didn't know they made a SS baitcaster reel. Mine is a spinning.

Also I think Mr Special and WWG got the best deal of all us when I sold two of those combos for $40. smile

Probably should have kept them, but I really don't have any use for more than 3 rigs.

**edit**

Just checked and you can still get the combo at the big store North and South of the Metro for that price.

Sometimes hitting the local shops such as Moores will be a wise choice due to the recent gas prices, not only that, but the service can't be beat.

But if you are close, that combo is tough to beat for the price.

I guess if I was buying an entry rig, it would be that KK combo or an Okuma Epixor and a glowstick, also tough to beat. My opinion is to make sure a quality reel is a part of the equation.

Yepp'er they do and I got one.

6W4hyYzMAcFwXkCJ28HD+tsIYvjsmYs00300.jpg

I will add, I have heard good things about the Salt Stalker Spinner reel.

If you can find one (why do they close out cat gear??) is a Rhino glow tip 9' trolling combo. Rod model number RBCXLGTC and reel number RBCXL. I picked up this combo new for around $45.00 at bella's. This was a rig I picked up for my son and I spooled it with 80lb Bella's high vis. braid. It is such a smooth and well balanced rod for cheap, I kind of like it for my self grin

Last I checked, bella's was not getting anymore in.

Is that thing brand new or what haha. I have caught alot of my big cat on my salt striker spinner. I did retire it at the end of last year. It was making the gringing noises and ya if I had the drag completely closed a bigger fish could still get the drag to pull,but you should never need the drag completely closed. I loved it so much that I went to gander and and got it restrung with line and got it wet again last night. (Skunked) thats whole other topic. Otherwise I look my Guide Series Muskie rod and guide series baitcaster reel. I think that the rods went up in price. I was able to get it for $15 when they were on promotion a year ago.

Quote:
Is that thing brand new or what haha.

Yes, it was when this image was taken grin

Do not rule out Moore's Bait. My next combo will be coming from Moore's.

The KatKing/SaltStriker combo, I was referring to is a spinning set up. I have 4 of them now, and don't have any complaints. The reel are made by Okuma, the same as the Epixor series

Dtro,, the rod I got from you is one of my luckiest rods.

Found these online.

6'6 CATFISH FISHING ROD & REEL NITE STICK - $32.00

ZEBCO * Catfish Stik * 7-foot * - $32 for 2 rods – Med/heavy – Line Wt 12-30 lbs – Lure wt. 5/8 –3oz

Brand new 8ft catfish heavy duty fishing rod and baitcast reel combo. This rod has the bright glow tip for easy visibility and is the medium to heavy action rod made by American Spirit. The baitcast reel is a North Shore Muskie model and has a 5.2:1 gear ratio. - $65

Any of these worth it? Anyone used one?

The Nite Stick is a very nice rod. Comparable action to a Glowstick. Put a nice reel on there and you'll be set.

Hate to say it, but if you go with a Baitcast reel, I would stick with the name brands, AbuGarcia, Shimano, Penn, Pflueger. For some reason with a baitcast reel it is usually really good, or really bad.

I think Bob has a few of those Nite Sticks at his shop.

I finally got my new Penn Slammer Live Liner combo put together. Got the reel off HSOList and ordered the rod sent to cabelas last week and picked it up. Spooled it up with PP. Took a little over 150 toad skins. Now, I just need to go play with it sometime if the sand bars ever decide to show this year or not!

Penn003.jpg

Penn001.jpg

I have a pair of Cabela,s Whuppin Sticks that were tested under fire at Drayton. Worked great. The reels(both spinners)are a Salt Striker SS65 and a King Kat II. Salt Striker is great, the King Kat might get used as a decoy anchor. I got them all out of Cabela's bargain cave at very low bucks. My newest(and untried) toy is a Mitchell 7500 Full Runner spinning reel on an eight foot Heavy Ugly Stick with 80 pound Tuffline. Now I just have to get some nice person to volunteer to take me out after Flatheads, since I've never caught one, and I'm getting old and may not last too much longer and I don't want to die without catching one. Not that any of you should feel guilty....

I know D30 is a hard act to follow, but if you can find it, Rhino has a great cheap combo:

XL combo

2EafwPRtjfRnLb0SYO5-4GC4WgCOWMku0300.jpg

+3SYsioF4LzBxtLgV8MzhXMgr0YHTRIu0300.jpg

on52qZTuK2fiPRwtCxLjZ8GaAAUHB+Gd0300.jpg

Eg5GhCkqJRGvwq0+PCcOvoi956bHCnQd0300.jpg

I got this combo for my son and it works great. I would not tell anyone about it unless it was good. Rigged with Bella's 80lb line it was around $55.00. I have hauled in logs with this set up. I will get fish on it soon. If you can find this combo, get it and let me know. I want a second grin.

Ya Bob does have like four night stick for sale right now, and some really nice AbuGarcias with the power handles on them. I was up there earlier today asking around for ya. He doesn't have any combo's but he for sure could set you up with something very nice and reasonable.