• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
LwnmwnMan2

Using Lakemaster or Navionics chip in locator

When you use a chip in your locator, does it bring up a map on the screen, much like you'd see the maps hanging on a rack at a bait shop / Gander Mountain?

Or does it scroll across your screen as you're moving across the lake automatically so you can see general depth changes ahead of time?

Or once you're on the water, do you scroll the map on the locator with butoons, mark the spot you want to go to, and then the GPS part of it directs you there?

Or none of the above?

Actually your unit should do all three. It will just depend on which screen or page you have on. I'm not much help on the technical part as I'm still "playing" with mine to learn the finer points (only had a chip for two weeks now). But I do know all three are options on my unit.

The map is just background on your gps screen much like your wall paper on a computer. Way points, icons etc are not written to the chip. The chip will show you all contour lines where ever you're at. A chip is a must for anyone fishing any of the high-def lakes.

eyewarrior

as anyfish said.. D)All of the above...

In normal settings you will be a small arrow or triangle, you will be in the center of the screen and the map will scroll under you.. However, you can move the curser to any part of the lake and then drive to it as well. Often tims when I catch a fish, I just click the curser very lightly I then use the cross hairs as a GPS mark to see if there are more fish in the area, then decide if I really want to mark it as a waypoint to save for later.

I just click the curser very lightly I then use the cross hairs as a GPS mark to see if there are more fish in the area, then decide if I really want to mark it as a waypoint to save for later.

What a great tip, Deitz! Much better than winding up with a mass of waypoints marked that clutter up the screen and the gps's memory. Thanks!

It is a great tip.. one for which I cant take total credit for.. I learned it from one of our staffers, Joel Nelson. But your totally right, I hate to clutter my screen with 10 million way points.. This saves you from making a waypoint just becuase you caught one fish.. your able to scout an area a little better maybe find the spot on the spot and then waypoint that instead, when you do this it also tells you how far you are from your orig spot.

I do much the same as Dietz, although I usually set an icon instead of a waypoint or leaving the crosshairs up. I use different icons for different things, ie. structure I don't want to forget about, or a spot where I caught a fish, etc. If the spot is worth going back to I leave the icon or if it's really good I change it to a waypoint. If it's not a spot I want to keep I eventually remove the icon by clicking on it and deleting it.

A similiar and helpful technique is to use different color trails on your screen too for each trolling pass, that can also help you decipher where you were and want you were doing when you did (or did not) catch fish.

What exactly do you mean when you say "click the cursor very lightly"? I run a lowrance unit so if your familiar with that, would that be an exit so that that the triangle diappears and the crosshairs come up?

dont hit exit, as that will take you back to what you looked at last.. Just hit your directional button one click.. any way you want.. I usually hit up. Your screen will then stay centerd on that spot and your triangle/arrow will go where you are..

Dietz,

The other thing that I use is the cursor on the active sonar screen if I am cruising over an area and mark fish I move the cursor on the sonar screen( has to be active window) hit the waypoint button and it places an X in that spot on the gps side of the screen, and you can go back to it and scope it out and maybe find the spot on the spot by scouting the area. very useful while trolling or drifting.

WW

lwnmwnman 2,

two things that I would do if I were you.

1 download the emulator from Lowrance.

2 google Hightech fishing.

The emulator will get you up to speed quickly with using your lowrance unit, I haven't been able to figure out how to use my sonar recordings in the emulator yet but you can use the demo trails and sonar to figure out what menus to use and how the pages button works.

HT fishing is a welth of info on lowrance units.

I have had a 337 for 3 years and just upgraded to a 25c last fall and am still learning something new everyday on the water about the unit.

lwnmwnman 2,

two things that I would do if I were you.

1 download the emulator from Lowrance.

2 google Hightech fishing.

The emulator will get you up to speed quickly with using your lowrance unit, I haven't been able to figure out how to use my sonar recordings in the emulator yet but you can use the demo trails and sonar to figure out what menus to use and how the pages button works.

HT fishing is a welth of info on lowrance units.

I have had a 337 for 3 years and just upgraded to a 25c last fall and am still learning something new everyday on the water about the unit.

I'm not looking at a Lowrance unit, I'm more of a Humminbird fan myself.

Probably along the lines of a 787.