• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are you happy with your Minn kota trolling motors quality

croixflats

Ive got a Minn Kota Power Drive standard 55# thrust. Hardly been used maybe 2 or 3 years old, It know only turns to the right and periodically runs the prop. Tried replacing foot peddle it turned both ways but didnt run the prop.

I lost the receipt so I dont know if warranty is still good or not. I called Minn Kota and they were not willing to work with me not knowing the purchase date.

I'm getting so frustrated buying something and it not lasting more than 2 or 3 years and the manufacturer not standing behind their product.

Is there another brand that is better quality than Minn Kota or are they a good product and its just my usual bad luck.

I have the 80lb 24 volt and I love mine..it's just over 1 year old,can use it constantly for 16+ hours per charge.Only issues I have had have been with the circuit board in the foot control going bad

The foot controlers are junk. If you use them be prepared to replace them around once a year. That's something I don't like. I use the copilot and never have a problem with that. I've had a 12 volt and now a 24 volt and have had my share of problems with them. I don't know if any other brand is any better or not. When it works good, it's an awesome unit, but it can be a frustrating one as well.

I've had several Minnkotas, never had a problem with any of them. Autopilots, foot controls, circuit boards, etc. they've all been solid.

I've had 3 or 4 MotorGuides, one of them was good but the others had never-ending problems.

I've got the 2nd on my boat. The previous unit was a little undersized and someone tried to steal it and did some damage to the pins holding it in place. The footpedal failed at one point and I needed to replace it after years of use.

The current unit I have works well.

A friend had a footpedal fail in the rain [while I was onboard]. Odd as it sounds I don't think the rain is always the best for them. A thought is putting a clear bag over the unit, but I've generally stopped using it in heavy rainy wet weather.

I use a shortstop ckt breaker on mine..

I truly try to use it as little as possible as a general rule, but somedays it delivers the best speeds..

Thanks for the input all, I guese when we're out in the elaments anything can happen. I kick myself for not investing in the

co pilot. At the time it was a fairly new option and I wasnt to familular with it and I didnt have the extra cash.

I'm kinda of leaning towards GOLDTIP's veiw. I to was not treated verry well by the reps.

I'm happy to see people with good experiances. Just wish they would back their prduct up, that puts me off.

After hearing they have foot pedal problems makes me think the new one was faulty also.

On the Grumman boat we had, we had that boat for 20 years, had 1 foot pedal replacement. Needless to say, it wasn't under warranty.

In case you don't know, they've got a shop (or had) in the Bloomington area. When we needed ours, we just called down there, and they said bring it in, we'll take a look at it.

We stopped by, they looked at it for about 15 minutes and said "we can fix it for $125, or you can buy a new foot pedal for $85". Well, obviously we bought the foot pedal.

I personally would have nothing but a MinnKota.

I'd agree to the comment about the elements factor and electronics. You can seal stuff up all you'd like, but eventually water and [PoorWordUsage] is going to get in there.

Also, I'm sure it's no different than any other item. You're going to get 1 bad one once in a while.

As for the customer service people, that's the biggest downfall in any business, IMO.

I agree with you, customer service is lacking today anywhere and that's all over the place. It's a whole topic in itselfe.

$85 for a new Pedal? I got one at Fleet for $70. You would think it would be a little cheaper or at least comparable at the dealer. Unless this was a few years ago and the prices have dropped, that I'm not sure of.

Just bought a 55 lb PD V2 this year and it does have a minor glitch. If you bump the wires, it will sometimes shut off. When you push them into the unit, it starts up again, so it's probably just a loose connection. When I have time, I'll tear into it and see.

The only thing I had wrong with my minnkota's I have a bow and Transom ones. but my advantage during a tournament got stuck in the down position. sent it in to minn kota and they sent me a brand new one. I have been happy otherwise.

In the past I had major issues with MinnKota quality. I've used their motors for over 25 years. I had motors that had parts fall off, blow circuit boards, discontinued motors and thus no parts for repair, etc. I even went to MotorGuide which was a much better quailty motor. 4 years ago I bought an 80lb Power Drive Auto Pilot with sonar. It is a much better constructed motor and I haven't had one problem with it over 100's of hours of use. I think that MinnKota has turned the corner on quality issues that they may have had in the past.

I have been having issues with the footpedal on my 55#er It is out of warranty. I called a Local certified shop in town they were easy to work with. According to the shop the deal with the pedals is due to sand and other depree buildup. he recomended to dip the foot pedal in the water a couple tims to loosen the debre I have to do this a couple times a year but it fixes the problem. I am looking into getting the co-pilot though as I hear it's the cat's meow

After buying a new foot pedal and that not fixing the problem I went to an autherised sevice shop to have the moter tested. Moter tested fine. My bad luck I chose a faulty new pedal. I bought a new one from the shop and all works well now.

Makes you wonder when they put faulty equipment up for sale.

I'm sure my bad luck had to do with that also

I got the 80# 24v and the drive is fine but the tension controls never seem to work well, you can tighten them up and still no response and in rough weather you need somthing you can count on.

for what we pay for these things you'd think they could get it right.

Looks like I'm one of the few that have a cable drive - 48 AT. When I bought my boat new in 97, I skipped the depth finder/trolling motor package that came with the boat(they gave me a pretty good credit) and went out and bought my own, gave it to them, and they(Nelsons) installed it all - no charge - before I picked up the boat.

Anyway, I would never get a power drive. I like the instant control of a cable drive and way more reliable(less electronics). I've used mine HARD and ALOT - many more hours than the outboard in 10+ years. I've replaced the brushes and seal about 3 years ago and thats it. When I replace it, if and when it finally dies, I'll get a Maxxum.

Seems like all new boats get setup with a Power Drive unit. I don't know if this is because of a lower initial cost to the boat dealer or what, But if you're buying a new boat, or replacing - look into putting a cable drive unit on.

rascal

I am very happy with the performance of 5 out of 6 I have had. The one bad one had a bad foot control and also had a poor cumpass or whatever controls the auto pilot. They did take care of the cost of repair under warranty though and it worked ok until I sold my boat 5 years later.

Overall I would say 9 out of 10.

I use my powerdrive hundreds of hours each year. Have the co-pilot on it since it was new and have had a few problems with the motor along the way. I live in Mankato so it's easy for me to bring it in to their service center to get checked out. My experience with their customer service people and their service department has been much different than the previous posts. Same day service--completely handled any and all problems AND never once was I charged for their service work or time spent looking at it. Earlier this year I was having problems with the co-pilot not steering correctly and they replaced the co-pilot at n/c. The previous one was three years old. I can definately see how frustrating this must be for those of you not as close to their headquarters as I am but I know one thing for sure and that is a MinnKota will be the next motor on my boat when the time comes again.

Powerdrive 50 lb, 12 V. No problems in the 4 years I've owned it. I will not hesitate to buy another when I get a new boat someday. I will be watching to make sure whatever I get is well established and not some new tech that was just released.

I have two MK's, one, a 4.3hp on the transom which is 10-12 yrs old and a universal transducer auto-pilot which is 5 yrs old. Both are 24 volt. Knock on wood, I have had no trouble with either one. I hope you can get your problems resolved.