• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip up alarm methods

say_der

What wireless or wired tip up alarms have some of you devised?

I just talked to a guy who is using a wireless doorbell this year. Sounds pretty slick. That would wake a guy up real nice.

Another guy I know uses a lightbulb above his bunk. It's bright enough to wake him up.

So let me know what you've done, or seen or imagined. I don't have a permanent, but if I could use some of the suggestions in my portable that would be great.

Thanks.

I have the stikemaster beepers as well. The initial set up is costly, like 40 bucks, but then you can add additional transmitters for extra tip ups for 20 bucks.

I use them for catfishing in the summer as well. slightly different set up, but its what I use when I get a group of guys on a sanbar. That way we can all hang out by the fire pit and my rods can be down at the end of the sand bar with out me worrying about losing the rod.

I also use the pager style units and they are great. A tip: bring along some zip ties so you can attach the unit to your tipup and avoid losing one down a hole. Costly mistake.

Hi Guys how do u use a strike sensor with a frabilt magnetic tip up. Thats the typw thatlooks like a rocket with a tri-pod holding a tube the inner tube pops up when a strike is on?
Da-Roc

The best tip-up system I have found so far is called..."Da Wife". I ask her to keep an eye on the tip-ups and she is like a good lab on point. Oh god, she would kill me if she saw this analogy ……

well, those strike sensors sound nice, but that is more money that i have to spend.
what i use, is a small set of jingle bells designed for catfishing that attach to a pole or in this case tip up flag, and now at night i use small glow sticks, which i use in summer for catfishing and for night bobber fishing walleyes. really cheap, really easy, works pretty good.

Get yourself the a set of bells and place them on the flag of your tip-up. Not the little cow bell type, the 2 little jingle bells attached to springs. They clamp right on. When you hear the bells you look at the tip-up right away and can see it the fish is making a run or just hanging on. If your outside you'll often hear the bells before the flag pops.

If you're not concerned with checking them every so often, try this. Using the Frabil tipups with the plastic flag, cut and paste a reflective piece of tape (in the shape of an arrow) onto the flag. It works awesome and it's cheap. Using my headlight LED I can quick peek out...and while the flag is down, the arrow points left or right. After a bite, it points up.

I can't really stand to not watch for flags anyway, so it helps pass the time.

My father makes his own tip-ups and uses personal alarms systems that have flashing lights on them and he has also taken the kiddies bike horns that you can find at walmart or meijers in the bike section that make different sounds like ambulances, police cars and fire engines and has hooked them up to his tip-ups. Works really well. Especially if you have a hot hole that you can't see out your shanty window or fishing w/ dead bait. The personal alarm tip-ups have such a ear piercing screech coming out of them that it the whole lake will know when you've got a flag! If interested in knowing how he does it- you can email him at [email protected]
Just tell him his daughter sent you in his direction!

I'm in the process of making one that hooks up to a boat battery. It uses spade connectors, speaker wire (or any other 2 strand wire), and a couple small trailer lights.
I'm planning to attatch the lights to a 1"x3"x12" board and have the spade clips loosley connected on the tip-up with one wire on the flag & the other on the base. It will be different because it will be a connected circut and when the flag goes up it will break the connection and the light in the icehouse will go out. The small trailer lights draw almost no power and it's a simple design.
I'll let you know how it works.