• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do?

IceHawk

I would look for a lake that holds a good supply of panfish. I would fish a lake that produces alot of numbers rather than size. I have found out when introducing someone to the sport of fishing its better to have action, rather than size on your first outings.

My wife use to fish eyes with me alot until we had kids, There were many times she would outfish me, and I was happy to just be her net-boy. She always has appreicated panfish and to this day will take a good panfish bite over a strong eye bite. I'm happy to take her and the kids with, who knows with a bigger family getting into fishing this may be my answer to that new boat I have been thinking about. The second half always seems to make that final decision when a big purchase is involved!!!

I was planning on taking her to winnie this weekend and get her started there. However, she already made plans, (for both of us)I will however be on Red in February for that one. Mille Lacs is still iffy. Panfish is probably the answer then. I'm not big on panfish, know very few spots that hold numbers. maybe a couple hours during the evening try Briggs south of St.Cloud have been doing pretty well there on both eyes and crappie. Haven't tried it though since this cold snap.

------------------
searchin skys for eyes

Are you crazy,
Take her out on the coldest day to the slowest spot. Put an end to her interest in ice fishing. It is our last stronghold. Women have shopping and pampered chef parties. Keep something for yourself.
Just kidding. I've been very happily married for 6 years. My wife goes with me about 2 times a year with the kids( 4 and 1 years old). She does understand that this is my escape. So make your choice wisely.

1: a jug of red
2: mood lighting (coleman or candles)
3: an assortment of snacks
4: primo chocolates
5: another jug of red
6: sleeping bags

If you make it to the second jug let nature take it's course. And remember hooking fish is like scoring booty; never make your move too soon.

If you go out, take a hand-auger with you. I took mine out on Mille Lacs for the first time about a week or two before Christmas and we took turns getting through 10" of ice with the old Mora 8". She couldn't believe people actually did that. I "encouraged" her disbelief by telling her that the ice gets much MUCH thicker later in the year. For Christmas I got a brand new Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8"! It's worth a shot! grin.gif

smile.gif I still say thanks to all those who responded to my "girlfriend fishing" question!---89Bronco

Ok. So I'm supposed to bring the woman out fishing for the first time since we've started dating. She wants that quality time since I'm always fishing she wants to go with and be part of this great time.(away from her) Would it be better to put her on panfish or try to go after that almighty walleye and chance lack of action.(fishing)
Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
searchin skys for eyes

Saturday, 1/10/04, Lake Winni. Take her to the Ice Event FM is haveing! Other women, fun, food, prizes....And the fishing should be fast enough to keep her busy! Seriously, this would be an excellent time to introduce her to fishing and FM. She'll know why you spend your time on the PC when not fishing. smile.gif PS: Welcome to FM!

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 01-06-2004).]

Depends, do you want her to go with you more often? Or would you rather have her stay behind? If you're looking for a fishing partner, go after the panfish, at least there's some action there, maybe some action when you get home too?? grin.gif My own wife loves to fish, but she doesn't want to sit around all day waiting for 1-2-3-4 walleyes, she'd rather catch 20-30-40 panfish and through them all back. Guess it's the sight of the bobber going down and wondering what's on the other end.

Lwn

Hey waterbeater, did you ever think that maybe you should do the shopping and pampered chef partys and take care of the kids, and let your wife go with the guys fishing. I bet she'd have a blast.Ha Ha! I go with my husband almost every weekend and I love it. We are fishing buddies. He thinks he is pretty lucky to find a wife that will do all the icky stuff on her own. If he's busy and I feel like fishing I go.I'm the one that told him it was time to get a new boat.
Let's go fishing. Good Luck and be safe.

Cheers to that one Heather. Maybe if more men included there other halfs the divorce rate wouldn't be so high. It's been 13 years for us and he'd rather fish with his family than the guys. Good luck to the men who believe we should be at the mall.
P.S. For our honeymoon we went to the bobber shop and bought a frabill speed shack xl. Would youre mall shopping barbie doll let you do that. Just wondering. Hope you include her and you both love it.

The first year that my wife and I got married I decided I would take her ice fishing, in hopes that she would get hooked on the sport and we could enjoy it together. I picked an isolated lake so we wouldn't be bothered by other people. I fished this lake the entire week before I took her, so I knew we would catch some nice big gills and have steady action. I waited for a nice warm spring day so she would be comfortable and also took a house with in case it was breezy. I figured I had thought of everything to make the day perfect for us. We left that morning and got bait everything was going just as planned and I was just like a little kid heading to a candy store thinking of how great the day was going to be. We got to the lake and I headed out to the spot where we were going to fish with the truck, because I knew the ice was plenty thick and solid. I got about half way out and all of a sudden my wife started screaming at the top of her lungs "we're going down, we're going down" . She had spotted a little bit of water on the lake and was certain that the truck was going down. I tryed to calm her down, and assured her that the ice was plenty thick. We got to the spot that I had planned to fish at, and I even drilled some holes to show her that the auger could barely cut through all the ice on the lake because it was so thick. Needless to say, she refused to get out of the truck and told me she wanted to go home. I put the auger back in the truck and drove an hour and a half to get back home, not one word was spoken during the entire trip back. We have been married for nine years now and my wife has never gone fishing with me again, and even though I tell her she is always welcome to come with, I honestly don't think she ever will.

I guess I forgot to say that fishing is not for every women but there are alot of men that don't care for it either. There are alot of other hobbies like golfing for example. I would much rather be fishing personal. When my husband suggested getting a place on a lake I was all for it. Now on weekends if we can't get there to go fishing I'm bummed.
Oscar. Did you forget to tell your wife that if you are going down, the truck is the worse place to be.
Good Luck and be safe.

Yes I did tell her that but it didn't make any difference. She had such a death grip on the front seat of the truck that wild horses couldn't have pulled her out of that cab. Over the years she has been supportive of my fishing habit and for that I am grateful. Now we have three children and I take them out ice fishing every now and then, so it works out good.