• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ANYONE EVER CAUGHT A NORTHERN ON A FROG???

I'm probably the worlds worst northern fisherman(all i know is troll with spoons,and throw jointed raps), most times that i catch a northern is by accident when fishing bass (i can catch bass pretty darn well)... but my question is... anyone get northern throwing scumfrogs? I never have, but do topwater lures work for catching northern?

I've read that many people fly-fish for pike making me wonder if top-water bass baits work for pike.

As i write this, i think that I have never accidently caught a pike when top-water fishing bass, but... what do you know?

I have had beter luck with the mice than the froggs. They are only a one or two use deal though. I like to use an old meadow mouse when the weeds are not bad, but since it can not be replaced, I dont use it much.

I use Sizmic toads and the real deal. I will take one of my big bait nets out and chase frogs in August then rig them up around the bullrushes. They work great for pike and you catch some HUGE walleyes in the shallows doing this.

Pike and topwaters go together well. Lures like the Skitter Pop, frog style baits, creepers and the good old Rapala with the bill broke off slashed across the top.

I've caught my fair share of northerns topwater fishing buzzbait's and floating rap's during the 1st half of summer. Typically when I do catch them topwater fishing it's while fishing for bass.

Scum frogs get ripped up, to the point I keep super glue in the box for the repairs. I also tie a mono or fluoro leader to help reduce bite offs when going topside for bass.

Hands down my go-to muskie lure is a Weagle (topwater WTD bait) and I've had some nice pike as well. Gotta try those sumo super toads too!

There's not much like watching a HUGE pike blow up a scum frog...buzzbait or any topwater for that matter. When the mood strikes them they will often come completely OUT of the water to strike the bait...you need nerves of steel! It's hard to beat IMHO!

i have had them cut up a snagproof frog a time or two.

my favorite way to catch pike is to walk a zara spook across a large milfiol flat just before the tips of the weeds breech the surface. i fish it without any pauses. they follow for a while and then turn on it. it is too much fun.

Actually July on a scumfrog Pro green and white color WHACKS em hard But of course i fish the river Find the duck weed cast it as far in it pop it and let it set for a few secs and usually they come flying out of the water like a torpedo. Always scares the [PoorWordUsage] out of me when they do it. it is great fun !!!!