• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging a Rattle Wheel?

Texas-Ed

I've lurked here for a couple of years and this forum is a great site for good info on ice fishing. I get to go ice fishing only once a year and it's up on LOW during a traditional guys fishing weekend. We don't get much hard water down around Austin, TX.

I was thinking about getting a clamp on Walleye Wheel to use while jigging with my rod.

What's the best way to rig a Rattle Wheel?

Thanks in advance!

Texas-Ed,
Spool the reel with 20# test plastic coated tip-up line,add a swivel, tie on about 3' of 6# to 10# test mono, add a size #2 "Gold" bait hook or gold Jig-a-bit jig (1/8 oz.) size, and you are in business.
Set your depth so the bait is only about 6" to 10" off the bottom.
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I forgot to tell you the yarn or very small bobber trick! I set my depth and then clip the bobber on the line just below the rattle reel. That way you can drop your line back down the hole after you catch a fish,wind the bobber back up to the reel and be right back to the same setting you caught the fish at.
Cliff

Heres what I use.
I rig all mine up with either coated or non-coated tip-up line. The I add a swivel and put a 3' leader or either 8lb mono or 8lb fireline.
For the bobber I use a ice buster cut for little resistance for a bite. And for my bobber stop I use a really, really small split shot and attach that to the line. That will stop the bobber and you can also remove it if you dont want to use a bobber.
I always rig mine with dacron line so its easy to grab and doesnt cut your hands as easy.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Texas,
I used a rattle reel when I was up on LOW in Dec. I agree with the other posts from above be sure you use a very small bobber if you use one at all. One other thing I did was hook 2 fatheads tail-to-tail so they are swimming in opposite directions, I caught most of my fish on this set-up.

Ole

Thanks for the yarn tip. I hope to be able to see it on my Vexilar when I drop it down the hole. I'll try the double fathead idea too!

I brought a FL-18 up with me last year and they were all making fun of me since I'm a gadget freak. Anyway, after the first day, they all wanted to fish in my house out on LOW. The next day, one of them tried to play a joke and grab the Vexilar out of the bucket. They waved and smiled as I stepped out of the snow cat and I did not know what they were grinning about. Around noon, I walked over to their ice house to get some pictures and they asked me how I was fishing without my Vexilar? I didn't know what they were talking about.

It turns out they "borrowed" some other poor saps Vexilar and they had been fishing with it all morning. The poor guy was so distraught and then so happy that evening when it was returned, that he did not even complain or hit anybody. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Texas-Ed (edited 01-06-2004).]