• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many holes do U drill??

Norco

How many holes do you guys drill and how often do you move in a day?? I hear so much about this run and gun fishing but do you ever get to relax, have a coffee ect..?? I have a portable and its not bad if you move up to 100 yards but any farther and you need to pack up and drive. Do most of you guys find a good general area and work it or do you fish several areas in a day??

I am one of those lazy type fishermen, I usually have a pretty good idea of where I am going to fish and then I drill just enough holes to do the job. If I catch fish great and if I don’t I just make up some lies. blush.gif

Some people fish to relax... Some fish to catch fish. I drill as many holes as it takes. Some days its only a few. Some days its not even close to a few. I will like you said work a general area. However try to pick an area that I can cover many different depths and covers at one time.

I drill holes every 10-15 ft 3 at a time and keep moving hole to hole every 15-20 min. if no bite. I do like fish several areas of a lake in 1 day especially on slow bite days, and I may punch as many as 20-25 holes sometimes. You have to keep moving until you find them.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I am one of the lazy fisherman. I like to go ice fishing to relax. I drill my hole in the shelter and then I will drill one for a tip up and maybe move the tip up once in awhile along a weed edge or a drop off. Otherwise I sit in the warm shelter drink coffee and wait for the fish to come to me.

If it's me and the wife we set up the 6800, big heater, cooler with snacks and drinks, camping toilet,etc. etc. etc. Needless to say when we set up this much we only set up once.
When I go out on my own it's the Trap, auger, bucket and seat, radio, rods and bait. I usually drill quite a few hole when I'm out by myself, sometimes I go thrue a whole tank of gas in the auger I drill so maney holes.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

If I get out there around 2:00 or so I drill two holes for the portable. Then I go in shallower and drill 2 or 3 more holes for when it gets dark and set a tip up in a outside hole to keep anyone from hole-stealing. So I end up sitting in the deeper stuff during sunlight and move in shallower before sundown to the holes I already drilled.(this way you don't spook the fish or [PoorWordUsage] off any other fisherpeople around you for drilling during prime-time.)

If I get out early in the morning, there's no telling how many holes I'll drill, however many it takes I guess.

Some days it seems like punching holes takes up half the day, and other days it may only be 10 holes. Just depends whether or not I find what I'm looking for. Or if its really cold out I might only punch a few holes and go to a spot where I know I can catch quantity of fish instead of quality smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I've gotten into fishing with a snowmobile and draging my sled. I've got a rack for my auger and carry my rods, tackle and vex on the sled. This make for very portable fishing. I will generally pop a couple of holes and then look for fish. If I catch one I'll set up the tent. I've been laker fishing a drilled 100 holes in 10 different spots during a day. We were just up at LOW and we moved 3 to 5 times each day. Moving around really paid off. If I'm fishing a big perch lake like Winne, we might find a reef and just stay put and wait for the fish to swim under us. My motivation for moving greatly diminishes the colder the it gets.

Alot depends on what I'm after? If I'm after walleyes not alot I usally know where they will be on the structure I fish. Panfish that's another story, if I find what I'm looking for (size,quantity,activitylevel)then it won't be many if not then I'll cut numerous holes looking for what makes me happy.

I usally fish with a group,( 3-5 other serious fisherman) a technique we have found thaat works for us is the Genz approach. We all bring our own( ATVS- augers -fishtraps- vexilars) when we arrive at a lake we look at a map and look for promising locations. We then each spread out takeing one of the areas we decided on. We then start cutting holes looking for fish, informaation is the passed on to the other fisherman what has bee found. We have found we can cover alot of water quick, which leads us to finding a hot bite.

Depends on a lot of factors... ideally when fishing for panfish we drill 20 holes and can catch our limit out of those 20. On a day that we are scouting and exploring and not catching many fish the 3-4 of us will drill as many as 200. I have personally seen my Father-In-Law drill 150 holes by himself in a single day. Needless to say a light, fast cutting auger is needed to do this.

Take care!

SUNNYD

If I know the area and have done well I will usually punch at least a dozen holes.Then I try to pick out the active fish from each hole,hoping from hole to hole.
If I am scouting and area I first try to find some fish with the Marcum then pucnch a dozen holes or more in the area.I start with the spot that I found fish then work my way out and around.Then I start fishing where I saw the fish in the first place,and hop form hole to hole.
If she's cold out or I have a few barley pops along I may only drill half a dozen then get cozy in the Otter.Time to get lazy and enjoy a little peace and quiet.

I'll keep drilling until I find what I am looking for. Once I locate the fish than I relax. It gets tough with the hand auger though! Always have a tip up out too, so even if I take a break from drilling, I still got a line out. When fishing pannies/crappies/perch I use a 5" so i stay fresh, and the 8" for the pike and walleye.

I'm one of the lazy ones. The best strategy I have is to go fishing with one of my drill-crazy friends. I let him drill one for me...I fish, drink coffee, stay warm, etc.,...he keeps going all day drilling here, drilling there, until he finds the fish. Then I catch up with him and catch as many as he does! Life is good! wink.gif

I like to go to a favorite area.
Maybe drill 5 or 6 holes. If its cold
I will only fish the 2. If its
warmer I will move around the 6 holes.
You better have yourself a plan, you
don;t want to be movin all your stuff
around come prime time for the
evening bite. Walleyes that is.
Tony

I probably avg. 40+ holes when chasing bluegills/craps and about 15 when after walleyes. im always looking for that spot on the spot when fishing panfish. go get em they dont always come to u.

juddfish