• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

guide service help

73mrpike

hi i hope this ok to ask does any one know of any guide services in or around the hutchinson area. i have never used a guide and have a question do i need to have my own tackle, can i choose what fish i would like to try for or are guides only for bass or walleye and what is a fair price to pay am i looking at 4 or 500 bucks i realize price will vary but i honestly dont have a clue what im in for im saving up for this and hope to go end of july thanks for any help

Mrpike,

Any guide worth their salt will have all the equipment you will need to enjoy your day on the water. All that I have fished with don't mind if you bring your own gear to try out as well. They can probably teach you a thing or two about the way to fish with stuff in your tackle box that you may not have thought of before. There are guides that are single species and there are multi-species guides. Most will range from about 250-300 bucks for 4 hour trip and maybe up to 400 for an 8 hour trip. Every time I have gone out with guides, if you are on fish and happy, they don't mind staying out with you a little longer without really charging you for it. If they know what they are doing, they don't make additional plans that negates them to getting off the water at precisely the time the trip is supposed to be over.

Generally for what you bring on the trip is your valid license, snacks and beverages. Most guides do not allow alcohol in their boats because of liability issues, so unless they ask you to bring beer, I would stick to sodas and water. Another good thing to bring along is sun screen, a lot of people forget about it. I forgot to add that it is appreciated greatly when you tip a guide for a good day on the water.

I would also ask for references from the guides you are talking with. Check many out to make sure the guide offers what you are exactly looking for. It your day and you should do all you can to make sure that you wuill recieve what you are paying for.

I realize that many differ on this but, if I had a good day on the water and learned alot from the guide, at times I will also throw a tip thier way.

All good points, especially the tipping part (I don't want this to turn into a tip/or not tip debate, its just my opinion). You also want to make sure you listen to the guide. When he says to cast 50 ft., cast 50 ft......if he says set the hook, set the hook......etc. The guides that I have been out with know their stuff and have put a lot of time into their craft.

There is some good advice here, I really like the guy who says always listen to the guide. I have 12 years experience as a fishing guide and only charge $150 to $500 per day depending on what you want. I'm not in the area that you are looking at but am not far from the minnesota border. Checkout my HSOforum any way. Good luck and happy fishing!!!