• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishinJohn

Last fall I caught a nice channel in the middle of the day on a river-fed lake that is known in the area to hold some big cats. This year I have been trying that spot over and over because it has all the attributes I look for in a shore spot for cats during the day. After 6 times without success I finally caught a decent fish, again in the middle of the day, because that is when I can fish. I plan on going back all summer for more now that the water is warm enough. My question for you is: once you have a good spot nailed down, how much exploring new areas do you do for cats or do you tend to try the same spot each time? I would consider a stretch of river a single spot if you are launching from the same ramp and heading the same direction, as current factors change often so there is no "spot".

We are always searching for new spots as the river is always changing. You can be in a hot spot one day and the next day its gone. Half the fun of catfishing is exploring and finding new spots. A good stretch of river can have 3-4 different hot spots it just depends on how much time you want to spend in each spot before moving on to a new one. If there not biting move on you can always come back to it later.

Being most of my catfishing takes place from shore it's always nice to explore the river bottoms. There are miles and miles of trails to take, it just depends on who much work you want to put into your fishing. Some guys are content sitting in one spot all day and night whether they a catching fish or not. If I know I'm in a good spot I'll put some time into that spot before moving on. Sometimes one only has to move a 100' to find better fishing. It's what I call finding a spot in a spot.

I do a lot of moving around on a couple mile stretch of river, fishing from shore. I have a few holes that I know are dynamite about half the time, so I usually try those and then check out a couple other less familiar spots.

I like to sit at a spot for a half hour or so, and if I'm not getting bit, I move. If I am catching fish, I'll stick around until the bite dies off (usually after 2 or 3 fish), and then move on.

Half the fun for me is finding new spots, so I almost always do a little exploring.

I fish spots that historically have done well for me in specific conditions:

High Water Early/Mid/Late Season

Mid Water Early/Mid/Late Season

Low Water Early/Mid/Late Season

Right now I would classify this as High Water/Early Season. I basically call up my mental recollection (I need to get more organized like Steve D so I don’t have to remember) and hit those spots. If they don’t produce I start looking elsewhere.

The river changes so fast, the conditions can go from High water to Low water in a matter of a few weeks, so not only should you move, I think you NEED to move.