• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am curious to see if anybody else here creates HDR images? And if so, what have you learned from this; any tips?

One thing I have learned is there will be a lot of unsightly noise from moving tree branches on a windy day, despite the conditions being fairly bright.

I've been messing around with photomatix to see what can be done other than creating cartoonish images. Below is one of my better examples of a realistic HDR. I also have tried a black and white HDR image. Seems like HDR could work fairly well in B&W.

2523456376_b0cfb1ac40.jpg

Below is what I mean by cartoonish imagery. Creating these cartoonish images is quite a hoot. But I believe it can be overdone too much in over saturation, and simply too much cartooning. I lean more toward the realistic images where HDR can bring out more details that would otherwise be lost.

2284620637_691a03ef51.jpg

I am not a huge fan of HDR or its look. I will say you have a well done example in your first shot. Preference I guess but usually when I see an HDR image it screams that it had been given an HDR treatment.

I agree its beneficial in extending the dynamic range of an image. I do use a poor mans HDR in bringing up shadow areas, sort of a bracketing within Photo shop instead of the camera.

I use a scaled-down HDR technique in photoshop called blending. I use either two photos of different exposures, or the same photo can be used (if it's RAW) by opening one photo exposed for highlights and then opening it a second time exposing for shadows, then blending the two.

I think a well done compilation of images, if blended into HDR with restraint, can be beautiful. Most HDR work I've seen is overdone, IMO. Like Dan, I think your first image is an excellent example how HDR can be useful.

Thank you. I imagine you guys are using CS3. I have not found this blending in Elements 5.0. Probably haven't looked hard enough. Photomatixblends the photos into a rather ugly image where tonemapping needs to take place to bring out the image. A tedious task.