• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where do the BIG ol BASS start getting smaller?

joeyquicksand*

Everyone knows that the big bass are down south, what I'm trying to figure out is what state do i need to drive down to to get to the ten plus pounders????? Can i look in iowa, or do i need to go to illinois? or do i need to go further than that???? what do you know?

Good Q - I'd think further south. Falcon Lake on the TX/Mexico border and Amistad to. Or Cali, FL, AL, GA, NC - you could search for each state record and decide. Best times are prolly in Feb/March when they spawn.

Very good question.. I would look at state records.. but even then, just becuase your in illinois, and their state record is bigger than 10 lbs, I would be willing to bet that your average angler will never catch a 10 lb fish. If you wanted a lagit chance at a 10 + lb fish.. Southern Cali, Florida, Georgia and Texas are your really only good chances.. even then you will have to put your time in!

I was lucky enough to spend an entire spring break fishing Stick Marsh/Farm 13 And Rodman and Toho in florida for one week.. During spawn... Fished from sun up till sun down each day.. caught a lot in the 6-8 lb range.. and then stuck a 10.lb 14 oz piggie..

a 10 plus pound fish is rare!

Good luck on your quest.

Wow Deitz, I was just down in Vero Beach and scoping Stick Marsh and Farm 13. My grandma lives in Vero so I might hook up with a guide next time im down there, maybe you'll have a recommendation for me?

I also have fished stick marsh but never broke 10. A few 8's and a 9 and a lot of 5-7. If you want a legit shot I'd stick to FL, TX, and CA. Overall best odds at a 10 on one trip will most likely be a guided trip in FL using huge shiners. It's not the most glamorous way to go about it but it's gotta be the best bet. If you want a 20 go to CA wink

Here in MO. I don't remember hearing of a 10# fish being caught for a long time, if ever. Lots of 7-8 with a occasional 9. Everyone is right, head south. I would go to Amistad or Falcon in TX.

I'm from Cali....a 10 there is normal. I can give you a few names of a few lakes in Cali that has BIG BIG basses in there. Go south or west! Tx is also a big bass state!

the lake i fish most often gave up an 11 1/2 last week. i know there are much bigger. stocked trout and florida strain largemouth, a great combo for giant bass. here in the central valley, each of the lakes seem to give up a teener or two every year. and don't forget mexico.