• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barron-Cumberland-Rice Lake-Chetek Fishing Reports for Barron County

Hey TNFL, maybe you can help me understand. I was just looking at http://www.landbigfish.com/astrotables/table.cfm. I'm guessing you are targeting the moonset and moon underfoot times??? Or is there something else you are looking at? I've never fished by looking at these tables. Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, those just say when the moon rises and sets, like when you can see the moon but its daytime.

We were going by the lunar periods, which are the forcasted "best fishing times". Therefore, the fishing was slightly slow in the early AM at sunrise, but when we went out in the MID-day, we did well on the panfish.

I suspect the lunar periods are related to the gravity of the moon and the effect it may have on micro organism and the triggering of baitfish which triggers bigger fish, etc. But that is just a guess.

Walleye: Walleye fishing continues to be good, with the best action during low light conditions early and late in the day, and in fairly shallow water, from 4-15 feet. Concentrate on points, sand bottoms, rock bars, and deep weed edges. Walleye suckers, fatheads, and shiners fished on jigs, tip-ups, plain hooks, and jigging spoons are all producing catches. Lakes of note; Shell , LCO, Silver,Red Cedar

Northern: Northern pike action is good around weeds – the same areas where you will find bluegills – in depths from 4-18 feet. Northern suckers, walleye suckers, and shiners are the baits of choice, fished on plain hooks, jigs, or tip-ups.

Crappie: Crappies are around weeds and cribs in 6-25 feet of water (depending on the lake.) You have a variety of effective baits available, including crappie minnows, rosy reds, waxies, spikes, and plastics.

Bluegill: Bluegills are in and around shallow weeds in 4-15 feet of water and action is just starting to get good. Waxies, mousies, spikes, and plastics are all working, and anglers are catching some nice ‘gills.

well with bow , gun , muzzle loader season and the holidays I really wasn't out and about in regards to fishing till now.I am sure all the other regulars were in the same boat and more reports will start to filter in.

Heading to Red Cedar for New Years weekend! Hopefully we'll do a little fishing. How do you think the cold front will affect the fishing?

Vman, are you involved with placing cribs in local lakes, I know someone who helped place some (legally) this fall in some of the area lakes.

This is the latest I have heard on walleyes over the past couple days, Big Chetac, Shell, Birch(by Birchwood)Red Cedar. Gills continue to be a good bite on just about any lake. Also on a side note i heard that whitefish are biting on Long lake, now this is something i never have fished for up here and have no idea where to go on Long Lake so you'll have to ask around. Hope this helps and good luck out there and be careful on the ice and use good common sense. I have seen people driving trucks out but on the lakes I have been on the ice depth varies greatly.

I fished Staples on Sat and it was slow, especially for any size. Caught around 25 total with an almost even mix of gills, perch, and crappies. Only kept one gill and one crappie, had another keeper at the hole but lost it.

I fished Staples on Sat and it was slow, especially for any size. Caught around 25 total with an almost even mix of gills, perch, and crappies. Only kept one gill and one crappie, had another keeper at the hole but lost it.

Thanks for the report Cooter! I'll stay away from Staples for now after that report. Going to hit some area lakes this weekend in Luck. East Balsam has been giving up some nice Walleye.

Badger - my guess is that the effects of a good bite for nice gills has taken its toll on a small lake, I know they've been pullin them out of there since at least last year ice season. Never know though, I've seen similar sized lakes keep going and going.

Have never done good during day light on the lake. I can't say whats going on this as I have not been over there yet. But one of the locals put me onto the bite last year and it was pretty much a dusk bite but it was a good active aggressive bite. 30 minute before and after the sunset so you might want to keep that in mind. During the day over never managed more than one or two fish. We would punch a dozen holes or so and then start using our locator's . found that we would only mark fish in 3-4 holes and those holes we would jump to until the bite stopped.

fished some local lakes and the bite was not an aggressive bite. Spring bobbers was the name of the game and even then it would barely move. did manage a limit between two lakes. Fire Tiger jigs were the best.