• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barron-Cumberland-Rice Lake-Chetek Fishing Reports for Barron County

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK now that I am done spending all my time in the woods from dawn till dusk chasing deer and finally done processing the ones from muzzle loader season its time to get on the ice fishing band wagon. So lets gets some activity going here with some reports.

my two boys were out fishing today on a local lake, never ceases to amaze me at how disrespectful and the lack of courteousness from some people. They had their tip ups set up and were jiggin a short distance away and were all by themselves nobody else around on the lake where they were on. 2 guys come out stop and look at them and then proceeded to cut holes and put tip ups in between my sons and where they were jigging and their tip ups which were about maybe 30 ft from them.They then went and cut holes and put tip ups in right between my sons tip ups. Just amazes me.

Yeah that does just get old. I understand if your by a group of shacks over some certain structure, that its going to happen and i have no problem with it. But in your case you would just like to ring there necks!!! And tell them to pull their heads out of you know where! I understand that now one owns the lake but there needs to be some curtiosy and respect used out there.

Fairly new to the site but will try to post reports as I go. Was out on the a couple smaller area lakes this week. Found most of the gills and crappies in 10FOW anywhere from the bottom up to 5' off. Did well with simply a waxie and teardrop, color didn't seem to matter although green w/ a red dot or gold seemed to produce well. Did the best right before the front moved in which brought us all the snow on Tuesday. The lakes I fished averaged about 14" of ice. Walleye fishing was pretty good about two weeks ago but haven't been targeting them since. Picked up a few respectible fish on Hemlock when they actually bit, most were tripping flags and and scaling the minnows. Did okay on Red Cedar as far as numbers go but size was pretty small, I don't think we had one fish meet the slot. Good luck to all and Happy New Year!

as reported by Steve Suman

Walleye:

Walleye fishing is fair on some waters and very good on the larger lakes. You have lots of water to cover – depths range all the way from four to 30 feet, and locations include weed edges, mud flats, break lines, points, and bars. The bite is best at night and before sunrise, but some fish are being caught during daylight on overcast days. Anglers are catching fish on walleye suckers and shiners under tip-ups, as well as fathead and rosy reds on jigging spoons. If one approach is not working, try another method.

Northern:

Northern pike action continues to be very good on most lakes, and you will find them around weeds and panfish in 8-15 feet of water. For trophy pike, fish deeper water with larger baits, and those baits are northern suckers and shiners.

Crappie:

Crappie anglers are finding very good action on some lakes and slow going on others. The trick is to discover where on the lake fish are locating, and then find where they are in the water column. Piece of cake. Water depths can vary from 8 30 feet. The crappies can be suspended over deeper water, holding near weeds, a few feet off bottom, or a combination of the three. The standard baits of crappie minnows, waxies, spikes, and plastics are all catching fish.

Bluegill:

Bluegill fishing is fair to good, depending on the lake fished. Depths range from 6 to 25 feet, and fish are holding near weeds, cribs, and in some areas holding a few feet off bottom. Best baits include waxies, mousies, spikes, plastics, and smaller minnows.

Perch:

Although not a lot of anglers are fishing for perch, a good number of them are being caught – often as incidental catches by those fishing for crappie and walleye. The perch are on or near bottom in 10-20 feet of water, and fatheads, rosy reds, waxies, and plastics are all catching fish.

Of course the big Cumberland one is coming up. The top prize for the raffle (no fish needed) is an ATV.

26th Annual WI State Ice Fishing Contest The 26th Annual Wisconsin State Ice Fishing Contest will be held on Sunday February 15th,2009 from 10am to 3pm on Beaver Dam Lake in Cumberland, WI.

Tickets are $10 each or 3/$25 prior to the event. Tickets are $15 each the day of the event. Tickets can be purchased by phone from Indianhead Sports Shop at 715-822-2164. Places you can purchase tickets are: Indianhead Sport Shop, Cumberland Louie's Finer Meats, Cumberland Radio Shack, Cumberland Cumberland Hardware The Country Store, Cumberland The Corner Bar, Cumberland Cumberland Federal Bank Bob & Steve's BP Amoco, Cumberland Holiday Station, Cumberland Barronett Bar Red Brick Cafe, Barronett Speedy's C-Stop, Barronett Woodland Signs, Barronett

All fishing laws and regulations must be followed. DNR officials will be present the day of the tournament.

This year the location will be off the beach at the Cumberland Tourist Park.

SPONSORED BY THE CUMBERLAND GAP

Top prize for largest fish caught of any species is $1000 CASH

There will also be over 100 major door prizes awarded the day of the event. Need not be present to win major door prizes.

Food and refreshments will be served courtesy of Habitat for Humanity.

If you have any questions about the IFC please contact Stewart at 715-419-2309

Snooze ; Yep i will be going. Things still hitting on LCO ?Thinking of hitting it this or shall I say next weekend.

Also am thinking of possibly seeing if the Wisconsinites of the FM HSOforum we be interested in getting together for some fishing on a local like around here.

I thought I was going but just checked my calender and I'm working that weekend. 5.gif

Haven't been out on LCO for 2 weeks now so can't help you out much there. Seems like every day I have off it's below zero and the wind is howling. If I were going out, I think I'd try some deeper water though.

And yeah, I'd be up for a get together. I work about half of the weekends so it might be a little tough for us. Let me know.

Vman59,

I’ll be heading up to red cedar (in Birchwood) for our annual ice fishing trip this weekend (January 30th – February 2nd). Seven of us will be making the trek from the cities to this beautiful part of Wisconsin. Have you fished this lake recently? If so can you expound on what worked for you? a few will be fishing for walleye but for the most part we’ll be fishing for crappie.

You can email me if you feel more comfortable responding that way

[email protected]

Thanks, enjoy reading your posts

Scott

I really can't help you out to much but can tell you what I know as far as whats going on on the lake. There is or has been a pretty good perch bite before the cold snap and they have been getting allot of walleyes but its hard to get any keepers. Try the humps out in front of the county park out past the islands, at least thats where I would go start looking.

Hey guys,

I get up to Trego quite a bit and can't find a consistent crappie bite up there. I've only fished a few lakes (Whalen, silver, Bass/Patterson, Spring, Casey). My Dad has a cabin on Ross road/Lakeside drive. Any pointers would be great!

there are two fish contests on February 7th, One in Chetek out of gilligans. tickets are available there. Also there is a tag team tip up contests on Bear Lake out of Poor folks saloon. $15 per team pre registration and $20 the day of the contest.

Thanks for the info V-man, I was up there last weekend & didn't make it to the humps but tried the edge of the islands out from the county park. 1 17" eye & several pike. I caught the eye on a small shiner with a gold hook. Nothing to keep but sure a good looking lake!

fished a lake north of Cumberland today, did real good on crappies no 13-15 inches but 10-12 inches and a couple gills as well. ended up with 38 between my son and I.

From what I have found out this winter avoid the bigger more popular lakes. hit your back country smaller lakes with less to no activity. This pattern has seemed to work for me at least . Hope this helps.

this is to let you know to be very very careful on the lakes. The shorelines are going fast and I was out today and found a wide range in the depth of the ice. Anywhere from 8 inch's to 25. so PLEASE use caution.

Crappie: Crappie anglers are catching some fish, but action should only continue to improve. The best bite is still occurring after dark, though fish are being caught throughout the day. You will find crappies scattered around the lake, in various depths, and holding at a variety of locations in the water column. A flasher and/or camera are great tools at this time (but then, when aren't they?) The standard baits crappie minnows, waxies, plastics, and small jigs are all effective. Downsizing tackle and bait will nearly always increase your catch rate.

Bluegill: Bluegill action is good and getting better, as this mild weather will have water running down into the holes and the fish rising and holding at higher levels. Fish waxies, spikes, plastics, and teardrops/small jigs near weeds in 6-15 feet of water. If you are fishing for a meal, some sorting is still necessary.

Perch: Perch fishing continues to be a bit slow, but it should pick up quickly as fish are beginning to move to pre-spawn staging areas. Look for fish on the bottom in depths to 30 feet. Fatheads, rosy reds, crappie minnows, waxies, plastics, and jigging spoons can all produce fish on any given day ... and on that day, it always helps to give'em what they want.

Also on another note;

Next Monday, March 23, starting at 10 a.m., the DNR will begin sales of leftover spring turkey hunting permits, one zone per day, starting with Zone 1. (No permits remain for Zone 7, or for time periods A, B, or C.) Any permits remaining after March 27 will go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday March 28, and continue until all permits are sold or the season ends. All hunters are required to posses a spring turkey license and stamp. Leftover permits cost an additional $10 for residents and $15 for nonresidents.

still haven't been able to post any pictures. my sons and I have been hiting the smaller lakes in nw wis this winter with great success. We have been hitting lakes 200acres or less and have found great fishing with little to no pressure. sometimes we are the only ones on the lake. This morning we hit a small Polk county lake and ended up with 4 limits of gills and crappies and all quality fish. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will post the pics.