• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on weather

Tippman

So I know this morning would have been a nice time to be on the water with this large front moving through. But now how long before fishing picks up again? Tomorrow winds are changing from east to southwest and temps will be warmer. Will this weather trigger fish with the rise in pressure and wind change or is it too close post cold front? I have a couple days for a run up north and want to time it right with all the chores around home.

I'm a little frustrated with the weather in general, but here's my take........

Right now, with a late Spring, still cool water, rising water levels in places with the rain, and trying to layer on top of that the effects of the changing weather is nearly impossible. I really don't think there was enough or any real pattern of activity yet to pick up from. So, I'd say if you have the time, just go and get away.

I got on the board for '08 with a little tiger last night so I'm headed back to the bass for a while!

RincRat, you fish harriet much for skis? I've never actually fished the lake, I usually fish Calhoun. Surprisingly few boats out and about the other night, what with it being opener and all.

goblueM

i fish harriet alot.i love that lake.I dont fish calhoun as much tho.I stuck a 51" at harriet on thankgsgiving morning.Lately ive been fishing from shore because we are replacing the floor on our boat but ive been having luck fishing from the docks.Very fun lake to fish.I think calhoun has more structure but i could be wrong.

Rinc - That's a great photo of a beautiful fish - nice work.

I agree with Cjac but will also add my $.02 on weather - not just for muskies but fish in general. If you're fishing the same lake for several days and really develop a pattern and a front moves through you may have a real tough situation because you're back to square 1.

This time of the year with the season only 5 days old, maybe the real studs have figured it out, but the rest of us are in search mode. The weather change may slow the fish down a bit but they still gotta eat. I absolutely think that being a on front end of a change can pay huge dividends, but I also think sometimes a front is a good excuse for us. I'm guessing the guides don't cancel trips with clients if a front moved through, they just need to change things up a bit and try to develop a pattern again. By no means do I think its easy but its also not a lost cause. Sorta like guys who won't fish walleyes in the dog days - since I have yet to see a bunch of skinny dead walleyes floating belly up in September I have to assume they're still eating in the not so prime times - but a lindy and a leech may not be the ticket. Sorry for the ramblin but its storming again and I can't sleep...

yeah RincRat, Calhoun has a TON of structure, which can make it hard to fish. so many irregular weedlines, one second you're in 10 fow with weeds up to 2 feet from the surface, next you're in 25 with no weeds.

If you ever want someone to fish the chain of lakes with, lemme know - I'm canoe bound but don't mind taking people out or hitching a ride. usually bass fish but just getting into muskies. email canoe_crew at hotmail dot com

I'm pretty tired of this weather. I've fished everyday since opener, mornings from 4am till 8am when I go to work and a few evenings. I've moved fish everytime out, usually at least 3 or 4.

The only pattern I can decipher thus far is that they are in the lake swimming around....!! :-D

But halfway seriously, it's a location game to me. They seem VERY spooky. I haven't gotten a single fish to commit to the 8, they all spook quickly. They seem VERY hot on the baits coming in, but as soon as their within 10 feet of the boat, they take off away as fast as possible. The one's that do bite are doing so WELL away from the boat.

But day after day, the same spots keep producing follows or bites. I hope it evens out a little though, this is crazy! I'm sick of being on the water in June and my body feeling like last october....

-JR

JR -

Not sure if you remember meeting at Decoys last winter. If you're fishing the same lake I think you are I've had the same problem. Afterwards I thought a better plan than trying the 8 would be to burn the bait in when you see the follow and throw back with a Tiger tube or small bulldawg.

Its good to know you're moving fish though. You could also try that hideous homemade lure I gave you.

take care - erik

JR -

Not sure if you remember meeting at Decoys last winter. If you're fishing the same lake I think you are I've had the same problem. Afterwards I thought a better plan than trying the 8 would be to burn the bait in when you see the follow and throw back with a Tiger tube or small bulldawg.

Its good to know you're moving fish though. You could also try that hideous homemade lure I gave you.

take care - erik

Hey Erik, of course I remember! I've tried the things you suggest, but so far every time the fish are GONE. No lingering or coming back for a second follow.

I've got 4 rods rigged up at any one time, usually a bucktail, spoon, dawg, and jerkbait. The throwback hasn't worked yet, I think we just need some steady weather. Lightening and thunder every night can't be helping their stability...or maybe it has less effect than I think?

This morning was the nicest yet, calm, warmish, sun actually coming out. Moved 2, but they were LAZY.

Spotted a couple swimming over sand too in shallow water with no real structure or weeds nearby at all, they were semi-spooky but didn't bolt.

Interesting year to say the least.

-Jeff

Tippman,

Looking at the weather today, you might want to stick to your origanal plan and head north. Looks like today will be the nicer of the two days (thurs,fri.) plus they are calling for high winds 15-25 wsw for Friday. And you know how that lake runs that we talked about? But what every your decision is just get out and fish.

Call me when you have time.

mr

Tipp,

The weather has been nuts. My gut feeling is that today would be tough, and probably tomorrow as well. Fishing in general lately has been really tough for the day or two after a front passes because of the classic high pressure/blue sky/often very windy or way too calm type stuff. Add on top of that the cooler than normal water temps and it's really tough.

I'm finding the best fishing is with stable weather, even if that weather is ugly. I would rather fish the third day of wind and rain than a beautiful day after a front passes anytime.

But you never know with muskies. Sometimes you just gotta go fish them when you can.

Good luck,