• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabbage Weed Walleye tactics

I've found some cabbage weeds that are holding some walleyes, have caught a few at dusk trolling plugs, but would like to try for them using other tactics during the day. What specifics work for you to catch cabbage patch 'eyes? Thanks.

Fishermatt:

This time of year the cabbage is still soft and the stems have not gotten woody. If I'm in the cabbage I usually toss a Veg-e-jig with a Gulp minnow (smelt-looks close to shiner) or if I'm fishing fast I go to a Gopher mushroom head jig and a senko type bait ( yes! for walleyes) 90% of the time I will use black. If you use some fishing glue on the head of the bait you can rip it thru the cabbage and it stays very secure. I fish both baits on braid.

If there not to thick, weave a crank bait through them, Husky jerk-baits or X-raps. Once the get thick, flipping jigs, think bass fishing, can work. There always seems to be some holes in cabage and a slip bobber and shiner or leech can work when nothing else will.

I will also use an inline type spinner with a plastic shad type bait, or a big minnow too. The blades tend to push the weeds out of the way.

I think the one I use is made by terminator. Its a little different than this one, but this one will work.

i116719sm01.jpg

i116719sn01.jpg

I like a small 1/32 red marabou weedless jig tipped with an appropriately sized fathead if I am trolling the edges. A lighted bobber at night still can't be beat this time of year.

Tight lines;

Uncle Kes

All good answers here. Jigs and plastics or minnows go through cabbage well, or slip bobbers if you want to slow down that much. Before long you'll have trouble getting a crankbait through the cabbage unless it's very sparse.

Fishermatt,

We caught some really nice eyes two days ago on Mille Lacs in shallow cabbage (5-10 feet) on musky baits! We were targeting muskies, but caught a bunch of bonus walleye and pike using jerkbaits and gliders like Phantoms and Magic Makers (black/orange and firetiger). Nothing to eat...as you can imagine, using big baits like that, you tend to catch the big aggressive walleyes. They were all 20-26 inches, and we saw or lost a few that were bigger. This is a great "big fish" pattern that happens every year.

fishermatt-

Kind of depends on the walleye's food sources and what's available for them at the time. Right now I'd pay a lot of attention to the jig/shiner tips given here. wink I also like a light, plain leech rig thru the weeds.