• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirty shallow weedy area, what to use?

slimerg0d

Wow, great forum here! Thanks so much for all the tips and advise. I'm pumped to try for some Bass now. I bought a bait caster and I'm just trying to get use to casting it and not getting a mess with the line. I shall learn and conquer!

Dietz helped me out with this same question a couple years ago. Search Mr. Twister online, you should find their home page and yes then just find your products you'd like and place your order. The last time I ordered I bought in mass bulk so I've only done it that one time but if I'm not mistaken they were way reasonable and very timely with the shipping.

In the slop I use a couple of different outfits. Light to medium slop, I use a spinning outfit with 14# fireline. I find that the thinner line cuts the weeds and pads better. But it's all about getting them on top and keeping them coming.

In really thick slop, that gets pretty tough, and you need the "winch" power of a baitcaster and some heavier braid as the big fish WILL get you down in the weeds and you need the more powerful rod/reel/line to get them out. In this case I'll use a beefier baitcast rod, low-profile baitcaster reel, and some 40# stren superbraid. I've been testing the Abu Garcia Revo, and really like it.

For baits in the situation you described, my favorite is the scum frog or super frog. Both are great for skipping across the surface in heavy cover, and then pausing in the small openings. Don't worry about the water clarity...if there's bass there, they'll be aware of this bait. I like black baits. From underneath looking up (fish's perspective), it makes a great silhouette against the sky.

Good luck,

Do you have to order Comidas on-line? I don't think I've seen them at Gander, Cabellas or Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm always looking for a cheaper version of the senko.

You can find them at Thorne Bros,and at Fleet Farm.

slimer,

every response i have read sounds good. the expeirenced guys will throw heavy braid, tons of drag on there reels and heavy rods in your shallow weedy water. if you are really new to bassin' and are throwing a medium spinning outfit, or something similar, then i would go with the 14 pound fireline. you mentioned buying a baitcaster, for that i would go with the formentioned power pro in as heavy a line as you want. i like spinnerbaits if the pads are not too thick. the spinning rod, i wound use a 1/4 oz so you don't overload the rod. on the baitcster, i would go with a 1/2oz. the heavier lure will give you less problems with backlashes(as long as you thumb the spool in time on impact). once the pads get too thick, you are more limited to a big jig in the holes or a frog or surface spoon.