• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

growing/watering tips for sweet corn

fishermatt

I used the "favorite sweet corn" thread from this spring to plant 3 of the more popular varieties that I could find: Peaches and Cream, Ambrosia and Jubilee. Does anyone have tips (fertilizing, watering, mulching etc.) to get the tastiest corn? Does the particular summer's weather have a bearing on the flavor of a certain variety, or is it always the same each year no matter what?

Since corn is basically a grass it like fertilizer as long as it gets 1 inch or so of water a week.When it gets to be 18 inches or so high,I side dress it with 10-10-10 garden fertilizer.Then useing a hoe hill it to help keep the wind from blowing the stalks over as they grow.When the silks start to appear,side dress it again so all the fertilizer goes into making big cobs.

When about half the stalks have silks add 20 days or so from that date on the calander and it should be ready to eat.

As for watering.....corn needs the most water when it is tassleing.