• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you bank your house without snow?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy all....

With the lack of snow, how do you bank up your house? My 8x8 is a real drag to fish from with the wind blowing underneath.

I've tried the open ended bucket sleeve trick with little success. The holes in the house floor are square and with the bucket sleeves being round.... Not a good fit. Even tried to make filler panels for the square openings. No joy due to lack of material around the sleeve. They just were to flimsy and wouldn't stay in place.

I've been thinking of making some type of "skirt" to attach around the skids. Like a 12" strip from a tarp or something.

Give me some ideas here folks. What do you use?

Thanks......Dan

I've brought out a few cardboard boxes in the past and cut them apart to fit around the hole. Then throw just enough ice shavings on to hold them down and/or staple them to the insides of the hole to hold them in place.

Not fancy, but better than hauling snow from shore.

------------------
"What should I do...I think he's probably got the hook, I'd set the hook...PLINK....ooohh, I would have gave him some more time"

I to have square holes but what I did was cut a length of pipe to slide down the hole and than cut new square panels for the hole covers than cut out the square panels to accept the round pipe nice and snug I dont need any snow and never expierance freeze up

The make your own snow with the jiffy trick works if you have enough ice, I've used newspaper and straw also if you have access to straw...Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

thats what i did put the house out on buffalo over the weekend had the boy shovel the back of his little pickup full of snow from a couple piles left by our driveway. saw a guy on buffalo this afternoon filling his little trailor up as they had just blew off the skating rink on the lake.

Soderbloom Inc. the makers of the Quickset Icehouses has some sand tube anchors that work great for your portables. Just set them on the apron of your portable and your set. No wind problems when theres no snow to bank with. I like the fact that with these my house never gets frozen in by slush. They stay plyable in coldest weather too! Jay will also send you empty sleaves that you can fill on your own with dry sand of any sort. www.soderbloom.com and ask for Jay. Or contact me at [email protected] and if your in the Duluth/Superior area Ill get some to you.

I have an 8x8 permanent with square holes also.
What I did was take some 3/4 inch yellow foam
insulation and cut to fit square holes and then
cut round holes to fit five gallon pails with
bottoms cut in the foam. Depending how high the house is blocked up sometimes I have to use two pails one inside the other. Works for me !!

Thanks for the responses folks!! I'll give the old bucket trick another try. Maybe I can FINALLY get it to work to my safisfaction.

Thought of another thing.... Why not make some type of skirt for around the base of the house. I thought of using something like 12"x8' sections of heavy plastic sheeting or strips cut from an old tarp. It could be stapled to the base and held on the ice with a minimal ammount of snow/slush. Sounds quick and easy AND without the hassle of all those bottomless buckets.

What do you think? Is this do-able or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks......Dan

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I was going to either put rubber gasket material or try to get some used conveyor belt to cut and bolt to the frame around my house. If you can get ahold of a gasket distributer I believe you can get it in rolls that are in different lengths and thickness, 1/4" would be strong enough to break loose if it froze into the ice while on the lake. I am going to use a flat metal strip over the gasket material to keep it flush to the frame of the house. I use a 2x6 block on each corner when I set the house, so I was thinking about having it long enough to have about 1/4" extra when the house is sitting on the blocks so that it seals good, I may need a little snow on the corners where I would have to trim some to allow for the blocks.

I think something like this would work well, and the rubber would hold up under extreme conditions.

My wife works for a company that has contact with a gasket distributer, so she is going to check on this for me, she thinks she can get it in 50' rolls.

Ron

I don’t know the whole story but I agree with the majority of this thread…
They should have lost there privileges for at least a few years…
People with money could care less about fines or at the very least they have to deal with restrictions for a penalty!!!!!!
just dealt with it by taking away there & privileges means a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 01-09-2004).]

We use wood planks (dimensions .75" X 4") pretty much cut for each side of the house. Stand them up on edge on the ice against the bottom of the house and then we drill all 8 holes, pack the ice around the hole so as the mound of ice from the auger acts as it's own barrier, and take the slush from out of the hole and fill in where need be outside around the planks. Works pretty good. But whenever we move I always park with the door over a patch of snow, if I can. Nothin worse than comming out of the house and takin one off the noggin'.

I like that skirting idea. I have sewed on some heavy duty chain on the skirting of my fish trap. I don't worry about the wind too much any more.

Get a nice strip of canvas and see if you can make a sleeve for the chain. Insert the chain and sew it on with fishing line, then staple it to your house. I don't know, just thinking out loud.