• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

scent balls

I am currently working on making one an am geting close to the finall product , if it works I'll post the steps on how. But I've used them from the origional manufacturer with great results in the feild, Hang em' high an away from the tree so a bear cant reach out to it, U want to try an hang them directly over the bait so it drips on the site, but it's not alway possible based on where a good tree is to hang it from. I had bought two last year cause a bear got my first one. If ya thinks there is no way a bear will get it, Ha! A bear will even pull on the rope to try an pull it over the branch , so a good anchor rope is a must. I recomend a bacon flavor if you buy one or hickory. I'll post this weekend if I'm successfull in making one, I'm close an figured out one element I should have done last time an it should work. Later boar

I would avoid using the scent ball, it costs way to much and too many times i hear how it was out one night and gone the next. I would just buy the spray bottles from the same company and spray a tree or two at the bait site every time you refresh the bait so its kind of like a dinner bell.

Hey dewey, from what I've found out this weekend is that it's primarily made out of honey an sugar an scent, I really dont have a specific recipe right now but I get the same color an hardness an I think I have to use more sugar an less honey, it's gets real hard crystalizes like it should but it dont take long for it to start getting gooey, Im still gonna ezperiment but it might be esier to just buy one an get real smart on how to hang it. My shop is filled with a very sweet anise smell, I'm waiting to find a bear in there one morning. later boar

Boar,

I'd say, if you're in your shop working, there's already a bear in there! laugh I too, am anxious to participate in your "mad scientist" experiments.

I'm officially moved back to TRF! I got a little place on the river just two miles south of town on Hwy 32. Wanna come over and fish for cats tonight? Give me a call. 218-684-5827.

Sam

Hey welcome back, no fishing for me, doing ten hour days at the welding shop and still dont have the house painted, to much rain an now the heat an humidity are making me very un. later boar

cry I'm busy too, but I haven't fished, golfed, or even hunted for a year, and I just have to get out. Plus, my fishing hole is in my backyard! laugh Do you have any frozen suckers or tulibee? Do you know of a good place to catch cat bait, or acquire some "bulk" sucker meat?

I seem to remember we had discussed the bait ball and we had concensus that it was made up primarily of cooked and hardened corn syrup? Kinda like hard candy or something like that? Did that theory come unraveled?

You must still have several hundred pounds of bear bait left from last year, eh? When do you plan on working on this concoction next? I'll come down and help with the recipe.

Well I remember telling you what I thought due to a discovery of dropping a ball on the floor an it breaking into crystal shards an chunks reminding me oof hard rock candy but other things have come into play with other discoveries. The sand hill river out of fertil has creek chubs to catch by the gazzillion with an smal hook an worm chunk. Boar

Ah! The old smash it on the floor to see what it's made of trick! eek

Wanna go catch bait next week? How about frogs? I wonder if the creek chubs are of any size yet this early in the year?

Let me know when you're going to work on the bait ball some more. I'll drive down and visit. Mayhap I can help.

I was thinking hitting the point in EGF some time in august. I have a tight rope arounf my waist or should I say noose around my neck till this house is done, fertile has the twin culverts west of town a mile that is a great place for creeks chubs up to ten inches, getting of the ball subject, sooooo how about that ball..... boar

August? Are you serious? Have you begun painting yet?

Scent balls are made of smelly things that bears like. I wonder what would happen if you bought 50 Tootsie rolls, and 100 Tootsie Roll Lollie pops, melted them all down, added smoke flavoring, bacon grease, and let them re-harden into a big ball?

Would that be good?