• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

travel trailer covers,friend or foe? what are your thoughts?

seahag

when It comes to fuel consumption pulling a boat/trailer,what is more cost effective,no cover which offers less resistance maybe?,or cover,which may deflect the wind up and over the boat? with everything being equal,what is the best way to go?

I have a really good travel cover for my boat but almost never use it, only on really long hauls or if I have gear in the boat or if I'm going to be leaving the boat outside overnight or in the rain, etc. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in gas mileage whether pulling with it on or not on.

If I want better gas mileage, I drive slower.

I would think that the cover would help with mileage like a toneau cover does for a truck. I have a cover but don't use mine either while traveling and my boat has a stall in the garage so I don't need it at home either.

I would think a tight fitting cover would help a little. I remove my trolling motor and with a tight custom snap on cover, the boat is pretty smooth. Every little bit helps nowdays.

I second the no change in gas mileage with or without the boat cover. Granted there may be some, but it's not going to be a huge noticeable difference. Your boat cover is still going to absorb the air flow and create drag no matter how tight your cover is. If nothing else, you're creating a bigger profile to get through the air.

I see a difference in mileage with mine. About 1.5mpg to as much as 3mpg depending on the wind and its direction, so mine is always on. I pull with a truck with a topper so the air spills hard off the back of the truck right into the boat. By having a cover on you allow the air to move along the top of the boat and spill more cleanly off the back as opposed to dumping into the bottom of the boat and up over the transom at the back. If you don't think it matters much take a look at your cover driving down the highway and see the down force it creates on the cover itself, mine is quite dramatic. Yet I have driven down the highway and watched others acting like a parachute, so I wouldn't expect much advantage there.

I have a tiller so I have a nice flat smooth area as opposed to a windshield that will add more drag. Simple aerodynamics. Airplane wings are covered all the way around for a reason to create a difference in pressure for lift and reduce induced drag, they are not open on one side. Form drag is created by the profile of the boat and increases with speed. Because of this even greater mileage is possible by just driving slower. If I drive 68mph instead of 74mph I see an almost 3mph increase depending on the wind, difference in mileage. Each individual vehicle and boat will give you different results so some may see little difference or you might be like me and see a significant difference.

I had my cover cut up the sides so it overhangs around and 1" or 2" so there is no rubbing of the paint and I use a double cover on the motor so no flapping or rubbing on the motor itself. Works for me but your mileage may vary, and with todays gas prices I take advantage of anything that helps my mileage.

In my personal experience , I had a 2025 Pro V tiller pulled with a Suburban . Cover on and off 11.5 mpg sold that boat got a 18 Pro Angler tiller , cover on and off 12.5 mpg same suburban . absolutely no difference the way I drive .The same suburban no boat 18.0 mpg there you have it.