• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mower Height

CJH

I apologizae if this has been covered recently, but I looked a few pages back and didn't see anything.

So here's my question. I normally mow around 3inches Memorial to Labor Day, and a little shorter in the spring and fall. However, my backyard has high traffic and gets alot of sun. So would setting the mower higher, say around 4in, would that help it hold up to the traffic and if we go into a drought?

Thanks much!!

CJH

It would, but not as much as water.

The theory is that the lawn, if thick, will then shade itself, so as to not need as much water.

However, if you have high traffic and full sun, then that grass, no matter how high, will probably be flattened out some.

So yes, mowing 3.5-4" would help, but keep the water to it as much as you can, and fertilize in the fall.

I run my mower as high as it will go I have a toro personal pace mower and if you look at one it goes up to about 5". Make sure when you are measuring that you do it on the turf and not on a hard surface.

I've noticed the higher settings require less water for the lawn. I'm on sand so it still needs watering every other day during peak summer (mid june through early August). But I can get by with less time per zone with taller mower settings.