• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Sylvan 1700 Adventurer (17.5') W 2001 125 2stroke Merc

Papa Woodie

Dad has this boat, and has shreaded off all 3 fins from his prop. He is unable to read the pitch on the motor.

Do any of you know, off a 2001 125HP 2 stroke Merc 2+2 what the diameter and pitch would be from a 3 fin prop? Dad "thinks" its a 13" diameter with 19 pitch...but isn't sure.

Also, with the boat mentioned above, he said its getting super hard to steer the motor...he is thinking the steering cable may need to be replaced. Is this common? Is there anything you suggest trying 1st before replacing the steering cable?

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I was going to say 19 pitch off hand.

You've looked on the outside (hub) of the prop and can't find a P/N or anything?

Have you taken the prop off and looked at the outside and inside of the hub as well?

If the steering seems to be getting tight it's likely the cable - you can try and grease the zerk found on the motor near the steereing cable nut, but I don't think that's going to do it.

marine_man

Me looking at the prop and dad looking at the prop is totally different. The prop is off the engine yes. I know exactly where it is at by looking at it on mine. Dad says the paint is all taken off the prop there (he was blown into rocks on shore when a (poor word usage) was at the dock, put his boat into reverse without looking...and you can imagine...).

He was quoted 180.00 online for a new prop, and i found a place online that will sell them for 89.99 with free shipping. 13" diameter with 19 pitch (3 blade).

Marine Man, is there a standard length for steering cable by boat manufacturer/size or is there more involved such as boat make/model/size/engine specs etc? Would like to have a new one there without tearing out the old one first to measure....so he can use the boat while the new part is being shippped. Unfortunately, there are no Sylvan dealers anymore within 200 miles of "home"...

Check with Soderbloom's - they're pricing is usually pretty good, or competitive at a minimum.

Steering cable lengths vary by boat size typically. So no, there's no "standard length". But, your dad could take a look at the sheathing on the cable and see if there is a P/N and / or length stamped on it. A sylvan dealer probably wouldn't know either.

Any marine dealer should be able to order you one in at a minimum, and may in some instances have on on hand.

Good luck!

marine_man

Check with Jay Soderbloom. I just got a great deal on a stainless from him! He is the best around and really knows his stuff...you may even consider a stainless; then again...maybe your pops is better with aluminum. grin

Thanks Marine Man. He had me order him 2 @ 89.99 a piece w free shipping from an online source, he said 15 spline, 3 blade, 19 pitch and it should be good.

His boat is sitting @ Parshall Bay on Lake Sakawejia! I'll have him give ya a call for help on the install if re-greasing don't work! haha.

A steering cable replacement is a pretty easy replacement - unless you don't have enough space to get the cable into the motor, which could require motor removal to get it in. If you've got good access to the side of the motor (no raised compartments around it, etc (like a Pro-V with transom being the same height across) it shouldn't be too bad. If not you're going to need a hoist.

marine_man