• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think they have done any netting surveys in a couple years. Currently there is no biologist in the area. The channels are natural and I've caught them up to 16lbs and know of several pushing 20. The rod and gun club had a cat tourney last weekend, I can try to get results for you. Most of the channels I've caught came while either fishing for eyes or flatheads - I haven't actually gone out specifically for channels but as I mentioned earlier usually about this time of year some guys just pound them and lots get caught by guys fishing eyes.

Eater eyes shouldn't be a problem, the lake is full of them.

Hey cooter, where would be a good place to try for some eyes? I have only fished little wissota for muskie to date so i'm only familiar with that area so far but would be willing to try wherever on the lake. What tactics seem to work well?

I can be reached at muskieboy46 at msn.com if you would prefer.

Thanks,

Trevor

p.s. did you guys have any luck when you went out for ski's?

No reports on panfish but guys are getting walleyes early and late in the day. Good mix of eaters under the slot plus some in and over to let go. Probably won't catch a ton but enough to have fun and a fish dinner.

Any luck Schmitty? Noticed last Wed she's getting some color, which will probably get bad with the heat wave. Muskies have been biting ok, at least so far more consistently than last year.

Cats should be going good out there now.

Weeds for the 2nd year in a row are not as nice and abundant as in the past.

Cooter,

Will be camping with the family at Lake Wissota State Park tomorrow thru Sunday. Have a 25 horse tiller. Am not a muskie guy but any suggestions on where to try for walleyes and pan fish? Methods to try. Local bait shop? Will let you know how we do. Thanks for your input.

Sorry I missed it before you left - if by chance you like technology(smart phone):

Good walleye fishing right out from the park, can troll just about anywhere from the yellow river bridge out to the main lake. There are weeds where the lake bends and meets the yellow river - shallow flat with a fairly distinct drop. Other weeds near shore throughout the area. Some cribs present also which would be worth trying for crappies.

The yellow river bar at the mouth of the big lake is consistent, runs from about 2 feet to 7 before dropping. Fish the break and even up on it late/early.

Also could try the back side of Pine Island which is just south of the bar. Should be able to contact fish on the edge or up in them depending on time of day/weather.

The catfish usually bite well this time of year in the heat out there, people fish them right from the park.

Good luck!

Cooter,

Thanks for the tips. We were sitting at the "edge" restaurant and able to see your post as they had wi-fi. Unfortunately got the boat on the water only for a boat ride to the south island (to geocache and swim). THe weather when we got there ungodly hot! I would like to get back there to wet a line. Beautiful lake but it does have a lot of recreational boating traffic......a lot. Thanks again for your help.

Mixed reports, crappies seem to be at or close to deep wintering areas - tip up fishing for eyes has run from ok to good. Eyes seem thus far to be a bit deeper than expected. Still a bit early to get a good feel, best bet is to get out and give it a try! Nice to be the guy to say, 'should have been here yesterday'!

Anyone have any reports from Lake Wissota or the river north of the lake? I will be in the area this weekend and doing some fishing. Just wondering what people are having success targeting lately and on what live bait.