• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooter,

How big are the fish the guys are catching? All the ones i've seen in there have been between 30-35inches. Are there a lot of bigger ones in there that I just haven't come across or is that the average size?

Thanks,

Trevor

From my understanding while yes many fish are in the 30-40 inch range, there still are fish to be had up to and in excess of 50". It may be that the smaller fish are feeding on perch and panfish, whereas the bigger fish move to where they can find suckers and bigger forage. Try dragging a sucker up towards where the river comes in and see what happens.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooter, is there an Ice Fishing forum for Wissota? or Chippewa County lakes like marshmiller lake... Where a guy could get some updates? I live in the cities but grew up and have my cabin on Wissota, I have been getting into ice fishing the last 3 years, just looking to find out where guys are talking on a forum. Seems pretty quiet aroudn the forum for Wisconsin Lakes in the Chippewa Valley.

I was out on Wissota 3 times the last week, small wissota, caught about 8 each day, nice perch a few eye's. Was slow during the cold weather though.

Hi Bucky, there is no special ice fishing forum for Wissota, just what we have here. Honestly not a lot of people from the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area on Fishing Minnesota so reports for the area can be sparse. The last report I got was slow fishing for walleyes in the Yellow R area. I'll pass on any info I get.

As for Marshmiller I know it was tough for the guys I know who have fished it this year so far.

hit Little Wissota yesterday and today, was slow yesterday little bit better today. Friend and I caught 5 eyes, 1 over the slot, 2 in the slot and 1 under the slot. Got them around 11-1pm today which was interesting, was hunting for perch. Yesterday only two sunnies and a small eye.

Lot's of people out today, looks to be some people getting ready for the ice fishing contest in a couple of weeks on LW.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to fishin Wissota and am just wondering if anyone know of any good spots to throw out some tip-ups for northers or would be willing to help out with some good spots & times for eyes or panfish. Went out to Little last nite with a buddy and set up my portable near a little shanty town and tried the sundown bite from 4-9 and came up empty outside a few finnicky bites :-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to keep everyone up with how I do :-)

Good luck and good fishin!

Yeah! Finally got into the fish, my buddy and I pulled 40 Gills and 2 crappie out on Saturday, today 20 gills and 2 northern on the tip ups. gotta love the size and color of Wissota Gills! We had a few nine and ten inches. We were fishing about 14 fow, red seemed to be the magic color this weekend, also went with the red spikes instead of the larger waxies.

the bite for gills was about 8:30am-1:30pm with heavy biting 11am-1pm. Shut off around 2:30pm

fish10.jpg

one of my mid day shots, then back to the fishing

fish.jpg

Now thats a couple great days on the ice Badger! I managed two gills and 2 crappies on Sat around noon. I was out off the small landing between the K bridge on Yellow R and the state park.

huntNfish - welcome to HSO, glad to have you! For panfish and eyes you could try the area I fished on Sat. They also get some fish in deep water right out from the state park boat landing. Most areas on the little lake that produce will have shacks or old holes on them. Nothing wrong with getting away from the crowd and experimenting but its a good way to gather info and get a starting point.

Better yet, con Badger into coughing up his spot! grin

huntNfish, I am the same as Cooter it sounds like, I like to avoid the crowds and explore some of the bays for fish, even when on Little Wissota I go out and explore, I don't fish near shanty town.

Also if you fish the metro area, my co-worker and some friends (6 total) caught 100 gills on the Seaton Channel (Minnetonka) on Monday, kept 45. I actually haven't fished much in the metro, still getting shown around by some friends. They were also having luck with Pink and Red flirty girties.

I'm new to the area and heading out to Little Wissota this Saturday and Sunday...was wondering if anybody knows where a good spot for some gills maybe. Just need a starting point or an area. I have a map but it isn't very good. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks everybody!!

Tough fishing this weekend, I took Friday off to fish. I was marking gills but they were tough to get to bite. We ended up getting about 10 keepers on Friday and one northern on teh tip ups, 32.5" northern, so it was a nice one. Saturday was tough fishing as well, was out on the ice by 7am to see if there was a morning bite, not much luck, we ended up getting about 6 keepers and left the ice by 2pm when the rain started. Didn't fish Sunday. Anyone hear how they did at the Ice Fishing Contest on Little Wissota? I talked to a few of the pros on Saturday morning when I was getting bait, they said on Friday they struggled to catch any fish, they were about to go out and fish with the amatures.

Got into some fish on Sat night, were fishing shallow weeds with tipups. 2 over the 18" slot and a half dozen below. The local Rod n Gun club put in approx 25 cribs over the weekend, kudos to them!

I don't ice fish so didn't get a chance to see those - that's great news!

Where did they go in?

I was only on the Yellow area, there were about 4 right by Camp Kenwood. The rest were scattered all over and I'm not sure where. I talked to the rod and gun pres to see if they had maps or coords for them. They have coords for the rock piles they've put in but I didn't see anything on their HSOforum crib wise. Your best bet would be to cruise around before they go through.

I was only on the Yellow area, there were about 4 right by Camp Kenwood. The rest were scattered all over and I'm not sure where. I talked to the rod and gun pres to see if they had maps or coords for them. They have coords for the rock piles they've put in but I didn't see anything on their HSOforum crib wise. Your best bet would be to cruise around before they go through.

I'll do that - thanks. I'll get a good idea where they are now, then pick them up when the water gets soft with my SI unit.

The weekend was tough for crappies on Wissota, my bud fished Fri and Sat with very little action. He fished yesterday as well but I haven't heard back from him. Should be anytime now though with warming water.

I'm going to be on Wissota the first weekend in August for the first time ever. I will fish for whatever bites. Any suggestions or tips? A place to get a good map? If not I believe I have it on LakeMaster. Smallies, eyes? Crappies, Gills?

Hey chise, I've been gone for a week but....cats have been biting well and are always an evening/dark option out there mid-summer. Eater eyes shouldn't be a problem, the lake is full of them. Gills are spread out and deep and tough. Crappies can be worth your time to find some cribs. Muskies? Check back when we get closer to August - if I'm around we could hit the lake together and do a Wissota 101.