• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know why I usually steer clear of lakes on a weekend. There wasn't anywhere that we tried to fish, when we weren't being buzzed by the skiers or wakeboarders.

On the fishing end, all 3 of us hooked fish but didn't boat any. Both of my buddies hooked into 2 nice walleyes, but as soon as they got close to the surface, they wanted nothing to do with being put in the boat. It was an all around bad day.

As if no fish was bad enough, I went 0-3 in our Sunday night Church softball league.

We put in at the public launch across from the View. We wanted to sit just on the other side of the bridge and cast into the cement walls that angle out. That was just about impossible. I guees the mid-week afternoon fishing trips will have to continue.

Fished for gills on Sat in the heat and it was very slow. The few females we caught had spawn in them yet but we just couldn't get into them shallow. Never did try deeper water. Disappointed, back to muskies...

Here is a little report from Wissota.

Catfish are HOT right now, and can be taken by pretty much anything you throw at them. The big ones are there, but the fiddlers will keep you busy! Using mainly crawlers for them the other night gave consistent action. I will be spending a little more time targeting them in the coming weeks.

Did a multi species guide trip in the down pour this morning. It rained on and off all morning. We found the eyes on the weedbeds, jig and a leech was the ticket this morning. Got enough for a decent meal.

6-27-09162.jpg

6-27-09168.jpg

No overs this morning, and one 17" slot fish. One incidental fiddler cat as well.

6-27-09166.jpg

We chased some smallmouth to finish out the day. The conditions on the lake were getting worse, but Jack managed to produce this little scrapper on the Mimic Minnow.

6-27-09170.jpg

The guys had a great time despite the conditions. Fish cleaned and delivered. I am glad to be home and dry. Now I am ready to take a nap.

Looks like decent weather for the upcoming week. Can't wait to get back out on the water!

Hello everyone. I wll be visiting somefriends over the 4th weekend and never fished the lake before. Any suggestion on where to start and what works best right now. I'll be on staying at a cabin on the northwest side of the bridge on County Rd. S. We don't plan to go too far away from the cabin. Thanks for any suggestion.

Sorry Ace, I just saw your post now, haven't been on in a couple weeks. frown

What a BEAUTIFUL night!!! No wind, upper 70's, not much for recreational traffic, calm water...Did I mention hungry walleyes? 19 boated total from 6 pm til dark. Also 5 rock bass and 2 bluegills. One bluegill right around 10 pm..weird, but not unheard of. Trolled for the first two hours, and boated one measly shaker. I changed up and started pitching jigs along the shoreline..BAM! I couldn't ask for a more beautiful night, I really did not want it to end!

Hey Cooter cats still poppin just about everything you throw at them. Would really like to go out after them some morning, won't be til at least the weekend after next. We can go hit em up in the evening one of these nights if you want. Hotter the day the better! (As long as it's not 95 degrees!)

Out last night for a little more of the same. First fish of the day caught by my 9 year old daughter Audrey, a 30" pig northern! What a thrill for a 9 year old girl. She almost teared up!

71309115.jpg

Walleyes were still biting, didn't seem to be a preference between leeches and crawlers, but the fish we caught last night ran bigger than Sunday night. Many slot fish, but nothing over. Biggest 16 1/2". Fun night all together with a few incidental nice gills in the mix. Maybe back out tomorrow night. These beautiful nights on Lake Wissota never get old wink

I heard that with the calm conditions yesterday morning the algae was absolutely horrible - so bad it was affecting fishing reels. Need some wind at a minimum and much better some rain.

Cooter, we got rain today!!!!

Took some clients out today on a walleye/smallmouth trip on Lake Wissota. For some reason it took me two hours to locate the hungry eyes this morning, but we did locate them...the only problem was they were running pretty small. Most fish came on firetiger shad raps on lead core line. I know firetiger sounds pretty generic, but my go-to colors were not panning out at all this morning. We stopped on a good concentration of walleyes and picked up a few eater walleyes before it started raining, a rain in which we still caught fish, including a catfish around the 8 pound mark. The bite stopped after the rain ended and we turned our attention to smallmouth. The smallmouth were raring to go! As we kept busy with the smallies during an even harder rain. One client hooked into this beauty of a channel cat. I am guessing right around 15 pounds.

72709104.jpg

Good day all together. Smallmouth and catfish made up for a strange walleye bite today. The water is pea green right now. Back at her tomorrow night. Hope to see you all out on the water!

Hit and miss - guys are out one night seeing 3 or 4 and catching one or two and blanking the next. Fish are showing on topwaters and bucktails and guys are getting into jerkbaits a bit as well.

As far as location I'd stick with shallow weeds(they don't grow very deep on Wissota). If nothings happening go deeper out from the weed edges. Trolling is always an option. Good luck, post a report!

Shorefishing spots are pretty limited on Wissota, your best bets would be one of the bridges - you have about 5 to pick from. You could also work the shoreline by the bike/walking bridge by Co S which is the old railroad bridge.

Where are you going to school at?