• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new 3hp runs poor?

hampster

Just got a brand new strikemaster xl-3000, 3hp/8 in. and had it out this weekend, it ran terribly. Anyone have any suggestions? Thinking about taking it back or to Big Lake to return it or have someone look at it.

bought the same auger last year from GM. would not start or run, took it back and picked up a lazer mag ultra. not a bit of problems with it and I glad I switched from the three horse.

O

It started fine. But once running it ran really rough, and had a hard time keeping it running. It would die after idling just a little while. It also would seemed as if it wouldn't open up, or go full-out. First experience with power auger, so I don't have much to work from. I appreciate the input.

We did start it cold. Initially we expected it to run rough until it warmed up. Used choke, partial choke, etc. and worked on getting it warmed up for 5-10 minutes, but it still ran rough and would not idle without killing. We actually found that as it ran, if we pushed the prime bulb as it was idling down it would stay running. The suggested oil/gas mix was 1:24, thought that was kind of rich, but we mixed it as suggested. Gas was new, not old. Will give it a try again soon.

I would return it and go to a 2hp. You won't regret it. Also if available I would go eskimo. Both I and a friend have run a few years and never a problem with either the baracuda or his Shark.

I bought the same auger 2 years ago and had nothing but trouble with it! The third time I took it back (to get a refund), there were 4 other new 3hp augers laying in the shop waiting for repairs! Same problem as yours and mine.
I bought a 2hp Eskimo and have had no problems since.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I used my friend's 3hp. yesterday to make a few holes, it also would not rev up and seemed like it was only firing half the time. He said that it was like that from day 1. He got it at end of last season. He's going to take it back to BigLake. I also would take it back and look into a 2hp. I've used three Mag X 2hp., all have been great no long warm-up, no lack of power,you actually have to hang on as posted prior. If you would like to talk to someone about it on the phone first,get ahold of Ray Peterson at Strikemaster, I'm sure from past experience he will do everything he can to make sure that you're a satisfied customer. Good Luck and Good Fishing

Thanks for the replies. It is really frustrating to spend this amount on what should be a good piece of equipment, and have troubles. I do feel we were patient with it, and didn't give up on it right away. We toyed with the choke/partial choke mechanism, with little improvement. When we did cut holes with it, it cut fine (other than not running full bore as it should). Perhaps I will look at exchanging for a 2hp as some of you suggest. I would like to know how many others have had this problem, and if it has improved over time?

Don't bother with 3HP, I have posted on "equiptment forum" and you should read all the complaints about the 3HP, My 3HP stealth works horrible, I also have a eskimo that is a 2HP that works great, the 3HP was a prize for a ice fishing tournament, so i can only return it to factory (Good Luck), I just hope that any of my fishing buddies are thinking of a 3 HP I will let them use this one, and they will probably go back to a 2HP.

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

I have a 3 year old Mag 3000, it was also running rough. Took it to Striemaster yesterday and they adjusted the carbs, N/C and also provided a new gas cap which was leaking. It now runs great, just a minor tweak or two. Ask for Cy in service. Bill

Try all the tricks and advice here including the vent cap if this does not work, take it back and have them re adjust it, more than likely it was an oversight when assmebling it.
Option 2 is to exchange it for the 2 hp Lazer Mag Xpress, voted fastest auger in the stock 2hp class for 2003 and a good price. I have been having great luck with mine, using synthetic oil seems to help too, no gas/oil seperation and better cold starts.
I will have the can of premix 100:1 at Winnie if you would like to try a tank.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Thanks all for your helpful replies. Hopefully I will have something to respond with in the near future. I don't doubt that it is a minor adjustment that is needed, so maybe running to Big Lake might be an option. Thanks again and best of luck for a safe and fun-filled year.