• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A new found passion for plastic.

JimBuck

I went out yesterday and decided to tie-on some plastics for the first time in about a year. Last season was spent cranking and using various other lures and techniques, but not plastics. So I tied on a Comida and hit the lake...for the next 2 hours I proceeded to hammer away at the largemouth. During this time I kept on asking myself "why don't I fish plastics more!? this is great!" Finished the evening netting 24 in a little over a few hours....all in the 16-18" range. My love for plastics has been re-kindled. blush

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good tackle shop in the plymouth area. I've been to a few Gander's around my house and they never have the quantity of plastics...any ideas? Thanks and be safe.

I haven't used them much but I used wacky rigged senkos and trick sticks this weekend and had a lot of fun with them as well. My friend I was fishing with was impressed as well.

I'd never drop my spinnerbaits for anything, but I do love senkos and such. Plastics are my Go-To. Anywho, I'd try Sportsmans Warehouse in Coon Rapids. Might be a little far for you, but they got what you need. A BIG variety of all the bass junk you could ever want! Staff is knowledgeable as well.

JB,

I was kind of in the same boat a couple weeks ago. In another thread I was asking about the best selection of Mister Twister plastics. I found out that Thorne Brothers is THE place to go for bass plastics. I picked up several packs while on a trip over there. I was amazed at how much quality products they had. Not just for musky anymore.

So, for a good selection of quality plastics, go to Thorne Brothers. I am needing to go back and pick up even more of the Twister stuff I did not pick up last time.

N2B

Agreed with the previous two posts. Thorne Brothers has really an exceptional quantity of plastics and bass stuff in general. It had been a couple years since I was in there, but when I stopped in a few weeks ago I was stunned at the selection. I wanted to grab some Mister Twister Fat Tubes (Matt told me they had them), and ended up buying a fair amount more.

Thorne Brothers isn't just a Musky store!

It is amazing how much stuff they fit into that small store. Great store with great service. Too bad they aren't located on the east metro. With gas prices what they are, it is hard to make those casual trips out that way.

You might also want to check out Mills Fleet Farm, Dick's, or Wayzata Bait. I'm pretty close to you, just down in Wayzata, and these are my 3 go to places for plastics. As far as what I'm buying, if I need Gulp Alive I'll go to the bait shop, best selection I think. If I need just Gulp/Powerbait/YUM/Whatever, I'll first check Dick's and if it's not there add it to my list of stuff I need next time I go to Fleet Farm. If you know the plastic you're looking for is a bit more rare, I'd just skip Dick's.

I haven't bought much for plastics from Thorne Brothers. I got a bunch of jigs this winter which I was very pleased with, though, not to mention a Marcum and new trolling motor.

Hope it helps.

Don't forget about on-line purchases. It seems that the cost of shipping is pretty reasonable and is about eqivalent to the money you would spend on gas. I always make a few huge purchases as the fishing opener approaches and I've found that doing them online has been the most convenient.

Dan

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've heard Thorne Bros. highly suggested in other threads as well. I don't get out to that neck of the woods too often but it sounds like a trip is in order...cringing as I pass every gas station. shocked

Yep. I'll just add that Thorne Bros. carries plastics from Reaction Innovations (Sweet Beaver baits),Lake Fork tackle,Sluggos,TB's own Ogur worm-which is another bait like a sluggo, and of course,Comidas and most of the Mister Twister line.

In St Cloud we have a bunch of places to shop, Scheels, Mills, Sportsmans, Gander... But over all I have found anything I have wanted for plastics over all these places, but I would say that Sportsmans warehouse in St Cloud has a HUGE plastic selection... IMO.

ALL-IN

Now is the time to "upsize" your plastic worms... go to a thicker, 7-10 inch worm,with some oversized hooks set up either wacky style or texas... i'm tellin' ya, upsize for the next couple weeks or untill it gets REAL hot... get the big ones now while ya can!

I just got a pack of 10" powerworms in black/blue, can't wait to throw em out there. The big boys love em!!!

I usually toss the 7" originals but night fishing and when the bite is on, I'll throw 10 inchers

10" worms texas or carolina rigged with a 5/0 are some of my go to lures in the heat of the summer and into fall.

I personally dont throw larger lures 'til the summer starts progressing when fish want bigger meals. Im sure they still catch fish in the early in the season but I prefer regular sized baits at that time.

I texas rig, or carolina rig them,also. The sluggo brand of plastics also offers a 9 inch sluggo that I picked up for toothy critters a while back.That might give an angler another option for a big plastic bait. 10 inch Powerworms rock for Texas rigging. The 8 inch Powerbait Sandworms are great for Carolina rigging.