• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky in the madison area

I know this is a while from now, but near labor day i move back to madison to start class at UW again. I would love to continue the chase for musky once back at school. I would have all my gear with be but no boat. If anyone fishes musky in the area and is willing to add another to thier boat it would be really appreciated.

Croix

or anyone who is from madison and has a spot in their boat for any species of fish. You name it I have caught it. Musky to sturgeon, cats, trout, eyes you get the idea. My favorites are smallies and skies though.

hey croix i'm in the same situation as you. If nothing else, i found a couple spots that look good for shore fishing on mendota around Frautschi Point. Never tried it, but was out there for a project and it looked good. Also might be able to catch a musk on wingra from shore (as difficult as it would be to land)

Yea, it hurts to not be able to fish while at school. I might have to try wingra from shore. Have you come across any good forums for fishing in the madison area? It would be too good to be true to fish at school.

You can rent a canoe on wingra just down Monroe st. from Edgewood college. Bring your own anchor though. That small lake has a lot of muskie; maybe not all huge but fun. DS bait has a decent site for local info and the shop is run by a guy named Gene who guides in the area and is very knowledgable. Great fishing in the area and good shore spots year round. At that bait shop you may be able to get a hold of a free booklet put out by the Yahara Fishing Club listing 20 good shore spots in town. It's a great tool to get you started!

Croix, I think my plan is to just wait out the rest of the open water season now that i'm back in Madison, and bring my ice fishing stuff after winter break. its just a lot easier hit the hard water and by that time, we'll be able to get resident licenses.

Thanks a ton fishinjohn, I would still like to be able to hook up with someone with a boat but atleast i can get access to some good shore fishing spots. Your info is greatly appreicated!

I saw your post on DS. I wish you good luck; I have seen others requesting something similar with good results. If I had a boat I would go out with you, although I have never tried for muskie. I have been into cats this year; similar thrill for less money!

Fishingjohn- Do you fish for white bass at all in the madison area? I fish those on the st. Croix and have a ton of fun with it, Just curious.

Cats can be a lot of fun, I also fish those and sturgeon on the St. Croix.

I have never tried for white bass, I don't think I have even caught one. I hear the action gets pretty hot during this time of year. I imagine sturgeon fishing in the Croix would be a lot of fun. I have been to Stillwater a couple times, that river must be fun to fish on. Lot of boat traffic too. My wife's granparents live on the Mississippi which is a lot of fun but you are always trying to be far away from the barges. Having any luck around town lately?