• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

effects of high water on lake fishing....

CALVINIST

Going on a family vacation up to Pelican lake in Orr in about a week, hoping to catch panfish, bass, pike, and walleyes. I hear the water is REALLY high right now. My question is, how does high water in lakes affect fishing in general? Does high water on lakes (not rivers) turn the fish off? I suppose it might be species specific. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've kept track for the last 30 years on Lake Nipigon. Water levels fluctuate here because of the Hydro electric dams on the only outflow. High water years are ALWAYS better fishing.

Most lakes are cyclic, with high water years offering good fishing and better fish spawning (as more shoreline structure is available). Low water years help by allowing for weed growth to extend further into the lake, creating more structure for fish. In general during high water years fish are in more accessible areas.