• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Advice!

hanson

Yep, I spent three fishless nights on the water this weekend, I knew I was just getting closer and closer. Then I finally "delivered the news" to a fat 18lber last night.

Hey guys, New to this site but i'm an avid catfisherman. I was reading some of your guys postings and it sounds like alot of you guys use bullheads as bait. A buddy and I went out lastnight and tried using bullheads. I must say they do get the attention of the cats rather well, but I could not find away of getting my hook to set properly. We had about thirteen runs within two hours but only one that we were able to set into and get up. Which only ran ten pounds but I must say, for my first time out this year it was exciting. If any of you all have any tips it would sure be helpful. Oh yeah my bait of choice is a six to seven inch golden shinner. Thank you for reading, talk with you all soon

Thirteen runs and one hookup... ouch. I woulda been cussing like crazy.

What size and type of hook are you using? Is the bullhead getting in the way of the hookset (is the hook setting back into the bullhead, instead of the flathead's mouth)? That's the first thing I'd look into.

Here-kitty-kitty

What size and type of hook are you using and where are you hooking the hook into the bullhead?

Also, when and how are you setting the hook?

There are many reasons why you may not be getting the hookset.

let me tell ya, the words were flying. I was using a size six bleeder hook and I tried to go through the mouth, back behind the high fin and back by the tail. When I was going through the mouth it just seemed to tight. When I went through the back yeah it was just setting into the side of the bullhead, and through the tail I was having the feeling that they were feeling the hook when they would stop to swallow the bait. I should have went out and caught some shinners as a back up plan. I never seem to have any problems getting the hook to set when I use shinners, but man I just couldn't get the bullhead to work. I guess it was a live and learn night.

Don't be afraid to step up the hook size. I caught a couple flats under 5 pounds tonight with a bullie on a 10/0 octopus hook. They aren't that hook shy.

As for where to hook them... you'll get differing opinions. I hook through the back, just behind the little meaty fin.

Ok that sounds like a plan. Like I said I am use to baiting them with shinners or a sucker so I never need a hook size that big. My next question is well in the worl are you guys finding hook sizes that big. I'm from burnsville and I have look for bigger hooks at all my outdoor retailers. I pretty much live at gander.

Mostly just a pa shop, but I'm sure the Mrs. helps out a fair amount! Bob's a great guy, but I'll warn you....it's not quite the same as the experience you might get at a bait store in some towns here -- say Shakopee, for instance. About 500 times friendlier! When you go to Moore's be sure you have at least 1/2 hour extra, because you might just end up shooting the breeze that long smile I just wish I lived closer, I'd go there more often. Check out his HSOforum: www.mooresbait.com

Oh are any of you clipping off the top spike or is that a urban myth?

I've done it, but I don't know that it makes any difference. The key is a lively bullhead that thrashes around, making noise and vibration that a flat can detect.

Big hooks for big fish. This ain't finesse rigging.