• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bturck

auger boggin out

have a Lazer Mag 3000 and its boggin out at top end. Any thoughts. New plug, gas should be good. Thought I would run down to Big Lake and have them take a look. It also seems to start hard, takes a lot of priming to get her going. Thanks, Bill

Hey bturck, I had the same problem with my Jiffy. Check the primer hose where it connects to the carb. Mine had a small tear in it. I cut the hose off just above the break and reattached the hose. Works like a million bucks again.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Bill,
Mine was doing the same thing so I took it to a small engine guy and he said it needed a new carb kit. OK, let him do the overpriced job at $75 and still had the problem. Yes, I was naive. Called up Gramps the auto mechanic and he told my to put really strong compressed air through where the high and low speed needles set and it worked like new. Just remember to keep track of the turns when removing the needles, it makes it a little easier to get it set right again. Hope it is as easy as that!

I had the same problem with my Jiffy, I put some carb cleaner and fuel stabilizer in the gas as well as a bit of anit-freeze. They adjusted the jet valves and she runs the best it ever has. I think running bad gas is the worst thing for any of these augers and causes the most problems.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'll let you know which one of the remedies works. I'm not really up on engines so I'll check the primer hose and go from there. I put Sta Bil in it every spring and then run it before I put it away. May call Strike Master if I still have a problem. Thanks to all Bill

had the same problem and like Chiro said a strong blast of air at the needle seat did the trick

Ya check for a cracked line before you pull the carb. Some of the gas tanks don't have a nice brass fitting but instead the fuel line slides into the filter which is inside the tank then pulled through the outlet hole with the filters nipple and fuel line making the seal. This can leak causing fuel starvation.
Shooting compressed air could damage diaphrams but if you have to rebuild the carb anyway what the heck why not try it.
A carb cleaner in your fuel mix is worth a try, run it with the mix and let it sit a while. In time it may clean it enough to get you by.

Have you run the stabile gas out yet? Did you measure the stabile before you put it in? I've heard too much is a bad thing, a carb cleaner might clean it up, or if there are any screws on the carb you might be able to open them up and find the jets and very, very carefully with a pin of some sort, to push any gunk out of the way. I could tell you the story of a buddy storing his motorcycle and using too much stabile, but I'll spare ya the details, bottom line is stabile burns kind of bad.

I had the same problem with my older super 30 3 hp this year. I screwed in the needle valves (counted the turns in) removed the needle valves, sprayed carb cleaner in each jet. Reinstalled the needle valves to the old setting. The engine ran good.

Hard starts can also be due to ignition problems, coils can weaken over time as well as electronic ignitions and points.
I was talking to a small engine mechanic on other matters recently and mentioned that I have been using synthetic in my auger and he said it was a great idea due to the gas oil seperation with regular oil in cold, and he said he uses it for that and for faster starts in sleds and augers. Some of the synthetic's have a gas stabalizer in them also. We put the same gas in an older jiffy, with excellent results,it seems to be starting easier now. Smells better also.
But checking the fuel system is a good place to start though.
I will have the 5 gal can of premix with me at Winnie if you want to try it.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 01-05-2004).]

The synthetic 2cycle oil is a good way to go. I use Amsoil mixed at 50 to 1 in my stikemaster with a small amount of Seafoam( available at auto parts houses ect.)The Seafoam is a stabilizer/cleaner that I have used for years with the Amsoil in my 2 cycles
boats/lawnmower/stringtrimmer/chainsaws. Perfect for the offseason storage also.