• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skin Problems

JIGLFIN

Udder Cream. There is a product out there called Udder Cream, and it works wonders on chapped hands and cracked fingers. I get mine from an Ag related store here in Mankato called C&S Supply. Hope this helps.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

See, this is what I mean when I say this is a great ice fishing site! I have learned more good fishing tips here then I ever thought possible, and now I know what to use on that stupid dry crack I get on my thumb every ice season. Good stuff. (Now if we only had a cream for those snowmobilers who fly by too close, they really chap my *** .)

Im outdoors/on the ice about 5-6 days a week and have real dry hands to begin with. I have tried many diff products and all are to greasy and dont seem to absorb into the skin and last. A few years ago I tried Aveeno hand cream and its by far the best I found. Its the one ya see the comercials about that they use oatmeal in the stuff. Ya can find it at wally world or just about any place. They make it in a scent free also..

LOL - get your head out of the gutter smile.gif

just incase others don't know what udder balm is, it was originally intended for dairy farmers and they would apply it to the cows udder to keep it soft so it wouldnt crack and carry bacteria.

Super glue was originally created for the surgical world to hold incisions instead of or to aid staples/stiches.

Use the super glue to cover cracks, use the udder balm to keep the rest of your hands from cracking in the first place.

Carmex for lips. Rub some on the hands it also works great on cracked fingers also, put a dab on the crack and a band aid heals real fast.
the one in the tube is easier to apply.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

If you like lotions, Corn Husker's Lotion is the best I've found. It was designed to heal cracks in fingers/hands brought on by husking sharp field corn. It's cheap, it works and it's still available. Check major drug stores and variety stores.

But, if you're willing to think out of the box, get a pack of surgical gloves. Rub petroleum jelly on your hands, working it in well. Then put on the gloves. Do this before bed, and you'll be amazed how quickly the cracks have sealed when you wake up in the morning. It's not for everyone (not everyone can sleep with that on their hands), but it does work.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Thank's to everyone, for the great reply's.

ChapstickCharlie cover's it very well, when he said:"this is the best site"!

Let the lubricating begin!

Less cracks and good fishin to everyone.

JIGLFIN;

[This message has been edited by JIGLFIN (edited 01-04-2004).]

My grandfather was a dairy farmer for most of his life. A quiet man who taught me many things; few by words and most by example. How to deal with dry, chapped hands was among them. I still recall seeing a bottle of Cornhusker's lotion sitting in his medicine cabinet. More importantly, I remember him going to bed with a bad back and pair of old socks on his hands after he'd put a good bit on. I've used the same principle with other lotions and a pair of cotton gloves when I go to bed -- it works! Use a generous amount, and the socks/gloves keep it from rubbing off while you sleep.

Can't believe this is a fishing site -- grandpa would be pleased!

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Been using corn huskers for many years. used to work in machine shop and washed my hands 20 times a day and dried out real bad, got to the point of cracking and bleeding. haven't had any problems since using corn huskers.
Andy

I get some bad cracks that bleed.
If a guy would use any lotion every day I think that would keep your hands in decent shape.
Me...I'm too much of man to be putting on creams and lotions! smile.gifI let em crack!
When I finnaly wimp out and the pain gets so bad I can't stand it,out comes the crazy glue.
I will also use Aquaphor then put rubber gloves on while I ride the couch for an evening or two.Good as new!

I never have too many problems with dry hands, except when ice fishing or fishing early season when the air is cool and dry.

My wife (also an engineer) spends some free time as a rep for an all natural beauty line of some kind (I know better than to mention it here).

The lotion she recommended works excellent.

For most, any hand lotion will work....but some people have sensitive skin that lends itself to the all natural stuff better.

Personally, some vaseline/jergens/Number 2 grease/etc. would be all I need.........but it's the "remembering-to-put-it-on-before-my-hands-get-bad" part that I have a problem with.

Udder balm is also at Fleet Farm. vaseline intensive care for extremely dry skin works well without the grease and smell. Blue label and has vitamin A&D in it. I also like the corn huskers. The super glue is a must to have anyway if you are having trouble with the braided line knots slipping. The correct knot helps but a litle superglue and they do not break off.

I have also used Show sheen to protect my hands. It is a horse product with a lanolin base that is miraculous. I use it on the dog to keep them clean and to keep the burs from sticking. ANY burr can be pulled out by hand or simply combed out if you use this stuff and it lasts for about a week on the dog. Even if they are in the swamp. I used it when I was loading hay wagons when my gloves wore through. I was able to throw bales without gloves for hours and not a single abrasion or blister.

you can learn more here by accident than elsewhere by design. Not my original saying but it rings true.

fish on..