• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Post your June Morson reports here!!!

It's been more than a week now since we've seen an update. What's going on up there, guys and gals?

Weather does not look good for stability -- lots of raina nd wind -- but we're headed up Wednesday night for five days.

Should be about time for the sand bite, but everything seems a bit off timing-wise.

Let's see those reports!!!

Like a guy on the lake of the woods forum said the entire lake is on fire. We fished Friday rainy and windy first fish was a 27 inch a little slow after that had enough for a great shore lunch. Fished mainly reefs. Saturday had 20 mile a hour winds got on a reef out of the wind and the big walleyes were stacked in three hours released 30 walleyes 20 to 26 inches had a lady in boat who caught her bigest walleye ever. Sunday was a beutiful day sunny no wind fished northerns in the morning got some nice northerns fished walleye in the afternoon caught fish everywhere we tryed bolders points reefs.The reef we got them the day before we only caught one keeper. Seen a lot of boats sitting on reefs. The may flies where out saturday night so should be time for the sand bite.

Thanks Pelican for the report. I don't read the Minnesota LOTW report becasue the lake is so different down there and too many posts to sort through.

I still don't understand this reef thing so early! But I'm not not complaining.

I've never heard of the connection between mayflies and the sand, I always thought it was the pine flys, those little mosquito-like bugs you see in swarms above the trees. That's what they seem to be eating when they are on the sand, but maybe it happens at the same time?

Anyone else been lucky?

We were up Wed. through Sun. and fishing was great. We caught at least a few seemingly everywhere we tried. Sand and reefs were both hot. Friday we did have a "Deadliest Catch" ride back to the cabin however. Wish I was up there right now...

We fished in the Morson area from Wed-Sat of last week. Fishing was excellent. Wednesday afternoon was tough because of the strong wind. We did manage to find some fish with the largest being 20". Thursday and Friday were very good for us. 3 Guys fishing and we had no problem getting a limit of 16-18" fish. Friday morning in the rain was outstanding. In an hour and a half of fishing we had a live well full of 16-18" fish! we released numerous 20"+ fish with the biggest being 22". All caught on jigs and minnows or gulp. Minnows seemed to work better than gulp this trip. Found fish in 19'-24' of water. The thunderstorms that rolled through Wednesday night and Thursday night didn't seem to have an impact on the fishing.

Paid $6.18/gal for gas at the Buena Vista dock. A case of Labatt's Lite was $37.00 at the Morson Store and we paid duty of $7.00 on an extra case of beer that we brought in!

Back up on Thursday night of this week for the weekend. Month of July is not looking quite as promising for trips.

Water level alert! The lake rose 4 inches over the last 5 days and is lapping at the bottom of our dock. It may be near 2002 and 2004 flood levels soon if the rain does not stop! It's nearing the 70 percentile for this time of year, well above average, and is expected to come up another 4 inches over the next week. fyi... no wild rice this year...

The lake is up 30 inches since ice out!!!! (Lac Seul is up 54 inches!!!)

Fishing report:

Wow, Sumander, I can't believe we were on the same lake!

Went up Wednesday night came back Sunday. We had at least a quarter-inch of rain every day, even more. Fishing was very slow for us, but I didn't get on the lake that much. Chased off Thursday evening, most all day friday and saturday afternoon by hail, wind and heavy rain. I just don't have the drive to fish in the rain and wind any more. Sunday was cold and rainy and windy so I didn't even go out.

Not only was the fishing slow but the fish ran small. Memorial Day weekend we hardly caught any fish under 18 inches... this trp it was no fish over 18 inches. BUT we fished shallow, where they should have been, near sand, and they were not there in any numbers. Looks like we should have been deep. So it goes..... the places we tried usually are on fire this time of year and in fact were last week. A day late and a dollar short!

Had our walleye meal, brought some home, but it was a slow trip by the usual Morson standards.

Brought all my gas and beer up so can't report on any prices. Gas is over $5.50 per gallon in the small towns now...

Home for 10 days then back up to LOTW for 10 straight days!!!! Hope they hit the reefs big time by then...

Be safe...

Wild Thing, we tried some of our usual haunts for this time of year and couldn't find them. One spot in particular, that we always have success on, was the dead sea!

The rain was no fun and we were hiding from the wind so conditions were tolerable.

Surface temp was about 59 degrees.

We had good fishing Sat. afternoon, Sunday and Monday. Out boat pulled in the biggest at 26.5" and had another that was a little over 24" other boats in our group was similar. We moved around and caught a few fish everywhere - every once in a while we would start really hooking into them.

Fished everywhere from 17-37 FOW with the most coming out of 27'

Paid $24 each for a couple of 18 packs of the BLUE at the LCBO in Rainy River. Took 2.5 L whisky across the border for 2 of us and paid no duty.

We're heading up Friday - Sunday. I can't believe that some fish have already moved to the reefs and are that deep. I suppose I'd be confused with the weather we've had too.

I imagine we'll start at typical early June spots and work our way to late June spots. It will be interesting.

We fished Friday through Sunday. Fished islands with rip rap shores with some sand and weeds, all within five minutes Hanson Bay. The wind changed directions about five times on Saturday - West to North to East to West and so on. We caught quite a few walleyes on Saturday on wind blown shorelines anywhere from 8 feet down to 12 feet. We marked them deeper on the bottom of breaks in 15 - 18 feet but couldn't get them to go. Larger fish were 27, 25, 23, 22 and a few 19's (all went back in the lake). Kept our limit of nice eaters. Didn't catch quite as many fish as two weeks ago, but we found the larger fish which was fun.

Wind died down on Sunday but fishing was still very good. Fished the same types of spots and had some fun fishing. Used jigs with the longer shanked hooks with Gulp minnows. Also caught some bonus smallies. Beautiful fishing and weather weekend. Back up for the fourth.

Shorelunch, I should just say ditto to your post. We fished Friday - Sunday. Friday was good, we had a 24", 22" and numerous 20" fish. Kept a limit of nice fat 15-16" fish. Most of those were caught on shore lines with rock rubble, etc. Saturday we were going to fish reefs but with the wind not cooperating that was tough. Switched back to Friday's pattern in the the PM Saturday and had a good afternoon. Nothing big, but once again a limit of 15-16" fish.

Went out Sunday morning an it was gorgeous. First reef we hit we pulled a 26" fish off! Eating size fish were plentiful. We fished til noon and headed home. Another great weekend. Not sure when the next trip will be, but i know it won't be soon enough.

Aiiiii! Sounds good Shorelunch and Summander. We're heading up Thursday for 10 days on the lake to celebreate Canada Day!

Hoping they are on the crawler/spinner bite on the reefs soon, that's always my favorite.

Maybe we'll see you on the water when you go back up!

Thanks for the report...

WT