• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

backtrolling with an 175 alumacraft navigator tiller

mrjigger

Just a quick question. I am looking at buying a 175 alumacraft navigator tiller.

The alumacraft HSOforum says it has a 25" transom, however, that is a typo. Was told by the dealer it only has a 20" transom.

I am planning on putting a yamaha 75hp F/S on the back with a vector trolling motor and wave wackers.

Will I beable to backtroll with this setup in larger waves?

I guess another question would be, how large of waves would the boat handle safely while backtrolling?

I had a Navigator with the 75 hp 4s Yamaha. It backtrolled fine in big waves, and mine didn't have wave wackers. It could take probably 1 foot waves and stay dry, and 2 foot waves usually at least some of the water would make it over the splashwell onto the floor. I just used the bilge pump if I took on too much water. The wave wackers should help, but I wouldn't expect to be totally dry.

Thanks guys. Kind of what I thought. But my current boat also has a 20" transom, and it is terrible for backtrolling. Water just basically pours right in. So I was a little skeptical about the 20" transom.

Granted my current boat is a console but with a much larger engine plus a kicker. Alot more weight back there.

Thanks.