• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I feel stupid

parttimer

So last night I am out fishing, poor fishing so already not a great night. I had to step out of the house for a second, as I stepped back in and turned around to zip the door closed, I hear something fall to the ice, my 6-8 month old $200.00 cell phone that I had in my shirt pocket fell out on to the ice. When it landed it was about a half an inch from falling into the hole, so I didn't jump for it in fear of knocking it in, just as I reach down to save it, bloop, good bye. I had to mad dash to the Mall Of America to get a new $200.00 phone because I took the insurance off of it about one month ago and they were the only store open. So if anyone happens to pull a nice motorola flip phone out of the bay on Lake Waconia reply, yeah right.

Needless to say, secure all you loose items befroe doing anything on the ice, I always thought I was smarter than this, I am now, I think. By the way, my new phone is attached to lanyard that goes around my neck.

Not sure I anyone has told you but an 8 inch hole in the ice is actually an 8 foot hole. Anyting dropped in the house is gone for sure. I would feel like a fool if I had to list all the junk I have lost down a hole. I think I an up to 3 items already this season. None as spendy as a sell phone!

Partimer, I know how you feel. 2 weeks ago I got home from work and snow blowed the drive. Got in the house couldn't find my cell, searched and searched Gone. Ordered new one, took 5 days to get here(this is my business phone), next day went fishin. Loaded everthing behind wheeler and took off 2 miles across lake set up and fished 10 minutes reach in pocket for a smoke, no smokes no cell!! Off I go following my tracks after folling tracks 3 times back and forth I found 2 packs of smokes no cell. I give up but my mother said she'll call over and over if I walk the tracks sure enough I get lucky and it's buried 20' from her beach. And as the snow melted this week I found my other off the drive in a hundred pieces as it went trough the snow blower!!

Brian

I feel your pain last year I had a 400.00 one week old pair of eye glasses go down the hole on Round Lake in 24 feet of water. I tried for hours to hook them but with no luck oh well. The worst part of the whole deal was when I bought them my wife says to me why would you go out and pay 400.00 dollars for something you are just going to lose anyways. You can hardly keep track of them when they are on your face. Of course I had to get a bit indigent and take exception to that and gave her a yea right. Well you can about imagine the amount of crow I had to eat when I got home wearing my old glasses. I can never win with her

My company requires me to carry a cell phone because I'm on call 24/7. I have not had a good history with them at all.
1. Old Motorola Brick flip phone. Died a horrible death when the wife threw it at me after it had rung way too many times one weekend. I ducked and it hit the front door jamb and went to smithereens.
2. Same type phone...dropped in water next to the dock at the cabin....Zap!
3. Qualcomm. Dropped into Lake Minnetonka into sludgy mud next to a public access dock. Retrieved after 20 dips with the landing net. Covered with loonsh*t. ZAP!
4. Another Qualcomm. Dropped (kicked off the front of the pontoon) into shallow water at the cabin. This one actually worked for a short time after but not for long. Zap!

After #4, the company was a little perturbed with me. I have learned not to do certain things with the phone. I haven't lost one down an ice hole yet. Maybe this is the year!....T

Parttimer;

Sad story, with a better ending.

There's a lesson conceiled in the
content of this story.

Having been a cell user for some time,
leaving it behind, isn't an option.

In fact I was sitting on the couch
today listening to the playoff's,
tieing lures, when the thought occures-

what's a better way to carry the cell
phone? could I strap it around my neck?

So I get on FM for the latest scoop and
here it is. you'v got my attention!

Is the lanyard attached in such a way,
that the cell is usable, without removing
it?

4 years ago, Waubay lake S.D. My cell phone took a ride in my buddy`s ford pickup to the bottom of the lake. I was mad! He was really *&"#! mad!

Sounds like you need to go to Cabellas, G.M., Scheels or whatever Outdoors store you have and get a waterproof/floating bag for your cell. My buddy lost a 2-way and cell phone down the hole now all his goodies go in these bags. Can talk right threw them.

well if it makes you guys feel any better i wreaked 2 phones already this year falling through the ice. besides buying new phones, i got pretty #@%! cold! smile.gif i guess i didnt learn after the first time.

If your job REQUIRES you to have it 24/7, okay. (although i must extend my sympathies)

For the rest of us, I just don't buy the arguement of: "I've had one for so long that now I just can't live without it". I assume most of us lived the first 20 or 30 years of our life without one. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who can't survive 2 or 3 hours without one now, for they have lost touch with truly experiencing nature.

T-bone, just curious. What happens if your fishing in a fairly remote area and for 24 hours or even 72 hours straight you don't have cell coverage? (i.e. Boundary Waters, some areas around Leech, Lake of the Woods etc.)

Just work with me on this, but there's a possible solution. There are hole covers I use while out on open ice with no shelter and in cold weather.

Two kinds I know of. One is the waterproof sealed foam stuff, the other is hard plastic with strip cut in it to allow a line/tip-up into the center, complete with a foam insert to stick into the open strip.

For the inside of a house, which is warm, one could use the hard plastic hole covers and eliminate the little insert. That would allow you to jig and put in a transducer cable, but would stop things from falling in.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Or ... just not drop stuff
Or ... not drill holes through the ice

Spendy stuff has a tendency of suffering the same fate. I'd like to know how many pairs of expensive sunglasses I've owned that have disappeared or been claimed by the depths, but do you think I can lose the $5.99 pair I bought at Walmart 10 yrs ago!

My latest casualty was a very handsome pewter pocket flask with the likeness of my hunting companion enscribed on it, given as a Christmas gift not a week prior. An impatient lunge over the tailgate for some gear put a dandy crease through it's center. Didn't lose it of course, but the incident certainly detracted from the sentimental value of the piece. Fortunately, it added character, and the contents were unharmed ... to the pleasure of myself and company! All in a good day's fishing.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Years ago, when I first went ice fishing, with Bob, he let me use his best rod and reel combo. (a German reel that was as smooth as silk) "Just make sure it doesn't fall down the hole."

Well..... the amazing thing is he didn't send me down the hole to go get it and he still hunts and fishes with me.

In three years my buddies and I have lost 5 two way radios and a maglight. Maglight fell in 8 feet of water, landed straight up and lit up the snow around the hole for 2 hours before it finally died.

when i first got a cell phone, it was kinda cool. or so i thought. i even bought one of those take it with you every step of your exsistance clip on the belt thingies. it was nice to stay in touch with every body while i was working away, but since, i have sobered up from cell phone dementia. it is nice to be able to get ahold of buddies when on a lake so large, you can not see to the other side, but after that that sucker can stay in the truck!
i have had enough. if i'm whizing down the road, and not in town busy with stop and go traffic, i might answer it. once a day on the lake, i might check my messages. i do not spend the day with a cell phone stuck to the side of my head, i would rather have a beer in one hand, and jigglestick in the other.
i think for those guys who have to worry about there cell, and make the mad dash every time it rings, the have a group that you can join for support. go fishing. get away from it all. and your phone will stay nice and dry. your bill will stay tolerable too.
t-bone, tell me you get huge, i mean huge amounts of money for this so called obligation.

------------------
i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotamy!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

[This message has been edited by jigglestick (edited 01-05-2004).]

JIGLFIN,
With the lanyard I can still use my phone just fine, no way I can lose it down the hole now, knock on wood. I got the lanyard with a little LED flashlight I bought made by Streamlight. I believe it is called the Streamlight Key-Mate. Hang the light and cell phone from the same lanyard, can talk on the phone and rejuvinate my glow lures at the same time, works great. Any other questions, let me know.