• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you ever feel alone? Lets share our feelings.

SledNeck

I dare you to come down here and fish in some of the stuff we have to fish in with 8# line. When I first started fishing here the first thing my buddy did was spool up my reel up with 17#, thought I could tow a car with that stuff. Found out fast why he used it. When Walleyes come in my boat they head for the skillet.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha I think this is all funny stuff Bass are so easy to catch if you want a challenge go for the walleyes. lets me honest here anyone can go out and catch bass and lots of them but how many of those people can go out and catch walleyes consistantly? not very many.

Yeah, I don't hear much talk of the "spot on the spot" when it comes to bass fishing. I can go to any lake and fish any weeds or shoreline and catch all the bass I care to catch (1 or 2 is more than enough for this guy!). But to catch walleye....you can't do that. Bass are like sunfish....they're everywhere and always in the weeds. There's more of them than you can shake a stick at. Easy to catch. Walleyes are for guys who like a challenge. Test your skills and knowlege of the fish.

Yes, bass fight harder. I don't think there's any arguing that. But it's not much of a challenge to catch them. And I'm out there for the challenge....the hunt....and the reward of putting a successful pattern together that not everyone can do. Anyone can throw a spinnerbait or plastic or crank and catch all the bass they want. Same cannot be said about walleyes.

So you bass guys go ahead and keep fishing those easy fish. That's why there's so many shows on bass fishing. They're easy for everyone to catch. smirk

wow... I guess I would rather fish for either... I guess I never can imagine me saying "Oh darn, I caught another Bass" or Dangit, another Eye!?" Nah, I'll take a day on the lake and me and my family have a blast catching either.

I have never targeted Bass up until this year and always loved catching them. My son is getting me into the Bass and I have to say I do love it.

Let’s face it, a lot of people were introduced to fishing by going out with pops or grandpops on the walleye opener. Seeing the admiration from family, friends and other fisherman for having a plump livewell is etched into our soul.

A lot of fisherman have kept that cycle going, others have expanded their horizon and now fish for other species other than the walleye.

I’m right with you on the loneliness, compared to Bass fishing, Catfishing is darn near solitary confinement (at least in MN).

The only thing, is that I like it that way wink

The one bad thing I see is that there seems to be a stigma or stereotype for specie specific fisherman.

Bass=Redneck NASCAR

Catfish=Redneck Smelly River Rat

Walleye=Game Hogs who only fish to eat them

Trout=Granola Crunching Elitists

Panfish=Rookies or Kids

Musky= jerk-baits with sparkly boats and a fat wallet

I’d rather judge the fisherman by his/her character than what they prefer to fish for.

Let’s face it, a lot of people were introduced to fishing by going out with pops or grandpops on the walleye opener. Seeing the admiration from family, friends and other fisherman for having a plump livewell is etched into our soul.

A lot of fisherman have kept that cycle going, others have expanded their horizon and now fish for other species other than the walleye.

I’m right with you on the loneliness, compared to Bass fishing, Catfishing is darn near solitary confinement (at least in MN).

The only thing, is that I like it that way wink

The one bad thing I see is that there seems to be a stigma or stereotype for specie specific fisherman.

Bass=Redneck NASCAR

Catfish=Redneck Smelly River Rat

Walleye=Game Hogs who only fish to eat them

Trout=Granola Crunching Elitists

Panfish=Rookies or Kids

Musky= jerk-baits with sparkly boats and a fat wallet

I’d rather judge the fisherman by his/her character than what they prefer to fish for.

Great Post!

I don't think character is being judged here though. Just what a person prefers to fish for and what they feel is more fun to fish for.

Character can't hardly be judged by simply typing and reading things on-line. That's something that has to be found out in person. Character encompasses much more than just fishing talk. smirk

I like to fish for whatever is on the other end of my line. You like to walleye fish, more power to you. Bass fisherman, props to you.

Off topic, can we have a post where nobody bashes another persons opinion? This is getting old. Sends out a bad message I think. I dont even bother posting pictures up anymore cause of the crappie I get.

TIP....

I think most, if not all of this post is in good fun. Bass guys like to give walleye guys a hard time and vice versa. A little innocent teasing amongst anglers never hurt anyone. In fact, I think it's a pre-requisit to being an angler! grin

I think it just comes down to what you enjoy about fishing....as some have mentioned, they enjoy the hunt of finding walleye and understand that the fight may not be better pound for pound. As for bass fishing, I can speak for myself and say that I enjoy sight fishing for bass and the fight is great as well....I continue to fish bass because it is what I grew up on. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a boat so bass fishing from shore was a great alternative. Getting back on topic, I do not feel alone. There are plenty of bass fisherman in the metro area.

F.Y.I. Those that have posted opposing opinions earlier, lets keep in mind this is the BASS forum. Maybe your subconscious is telling you something. wink

Quote:
F.Y.I. Those that have posted opposing opinions earlier, lets keep in mind this is the BASS forum. Maybe your subconscious is telling you something.

Wellll....us walleye guys have to keep half an eye out on you bass guys when you start mentioning "our" fish. grin

There's a few bass guys that cruise around my lake. They make the mistake of always casting at the docks though, the big fish simply aren't there. Sure they'll catch quite a few 12"ers, but that isn't what people are after. There are more walleye guys, but they aren't very bright either. Right after opener they were all lined up on the walleye's midsummer home. I trolled past with the electronics and didn't mark a fish, but that's where they were all fishing. I marked them in their over winter haunt, where nobody was fishing. Didn't spend any time fishing for them though.

As far as difficult to catch, walleyes aren't anywhere near the hardest to catch. That title goes to either muskies or flatheads. Tough to do a head to head on those because they require very different fishing techniques. Both of those fish will give you a really good fight as well, so the best of both worlds.

First off guys, I'd like to say that this is EASILY the longest going bashing/flaming thread I've ever seen where no real flaming is going on, and nobody's actually insulting another person, great job!

As far as bass vs. walleye, I'm probably a walleye guy, because I do several trips to Canada a year, and grew up fishing them. However this year I hope to get into bass more, and I think once I do, I'll switch to bass fishing more often.

However I'm first and foremost ALWAYS a musky guy, because really, who wants to fish for bait? confused

By far, my favorite fish to target is walleyes. But hands down, no questions asked, my favorite fish to CATCH is the smallmouth!!!!! I only fish for them when we're on our Canada trip, but wow....talk about a fun fish to catch! I just laugh every time I get one on because of how hard they fight and the arial display they put on! cool

Yeah, I don't hear much talk of the "spot on the spot" when it comes to bass fishing. I can go to any lake and fish any weeds or shoreline and catch all the bass I care to catch (1 or 2 is more than enough for this guy!). But to catch walleye....you can't do that. Bass are like sunfish....they're everywhere and always in the weeds. There's more of them than you can shake a stick at. Easy to catch. Walleyes are for guys who like a challenge. Test your skills and knowlege of the fish.

Yes, bass fight harder. I don't think there's any arguing that. But it's not much of a challenge to catch them. And I'm out there for the challenge....the hunt....and the reward of putting a successful pattern together that not everyone can do. Anyone can throw a spinnerbait or plastic or crank and catch all the bass they want. Same cannot be said about walleyes.

So you bass guys go ahead and keep fishing those easy fish. That's why there's so many shows on bass fishing. They're easy for everyone to catch. smirk

So bass are "always in the weeds"? There is a huge difference between catching the peckers and limits of the 4-5+ pounders that it takes to consistently be in the top places (when there are 35 other boats on our small S.C MN lakes).

But, I guess, some people don't find 4-5+ pounders a challenge either? If you don't like fishing for them that is fine, but get off the pedestal saying bass fishing isn't a challenge. Or perhaps you could throw in your grand entry fee and make a lot of easy (non-challenging) money this summer? Shoot, all you have to do is throw your spinnerbait all day, right? smirk

I fish for everything. I love the small stream trout. Panfish can be a blast!! Alaska salmon rocks. Many times I get to the lake early in the day and spend the afternoon casting for bass and northerns then pitch jigs for eyes in the evening. One of my favorite time fishing is before opener sitting on the river bank on a nice spring day catching suckers ( if you are looking for a hard fighting fish try a 3 to 5 pound sucker or redhorse in current) I think the ones who are truely missing out are the guys who dont diversify. You buy a license that allows you to target alot of different fish, why stop at one or two?