• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloader for bear

lient

I am thinking of using my muzzleloader for bear hunting this fall and was curious as to what weight bullet should I use. I have a 45 cal muzzleloader, and would prefer to stick with powerbelt bullets. For deer I use a 225 grain, and they make them up to a 275 grain. Also would i be better to use the copper, lead or platinum and hollowpoint or tipped.

I took 3 deer a couple years back and none of the 295gr powerbelts passed through. All the bullets shattered when the hit bones and one of the deer was only 30 yards. I switched to the hornady sabots last year and I shot a nice buck at 100 yards and the bullet went through both shoulders and completely passed through the deer. Powerbelts have a little to much copper and mushroom to much.

A powerbelt will kill a bear, but you might have tough time tracking without a pass through.

try the hornady low drag SST. great round on on big game!

I've shot powerbelts for the last couple years and am not satisfied with the accuracy and gunshy about all the reports of them breaking up. I am going to go back to sabots but aint looking forward to how hard they are to load. How are the Hornady low drags to load? Any other easy load sabots out there?

Lient,

Bear are easier to put down than deer. There is a sticker, you must hit them right. I believe you will kill a bear with your set up, but I have heard concerns about the powerbelts. I use to shoot powerbelts. I did some research and switched to shockwaves. I would urge you to do the same. Just buy different bullets and experiment. I am saying this as a muzzleload hunter and a bear guide.

Good luck

Hoytmystic

I used my 50 cal. a couple years ago with either a 275 or 295 grain powerbelt and the bear never flinched after the shot. I don't think it matters what kind or size of bullet you shoot as long and you take your time and place your shot.